An overview of the complex of garden work, which must be carried out in the month of March
Summer residents and their gardens are looking forward to spring days to give a start to the new season. But more often than not, the first month of spring only on the calendar shows the change of the season. In reality, frosts continue to fry, snowdrifts lie, and there seems to be nothing to do in the garden. In fact, already in March, the approaching heat is felt, the day is lengthening, and the trees are slowly beginning to emerge from the hibernation period. Therefore, some work in the garden is still carried out in March. There are not as many of them as there will be in May, but the yield of fruit trees and the abundant flowering of ornamental shrubs largely depend on the March care.
How to use snow to your advantage?
In temperate climates, snow lies in the gardens until almost half of March. But due to daytime thaws, it becomes loose, wet and heavy. If the branches of trees and bushes (especially young ones!) Are covered with luxurious caps, arm yourself with a pointed long stick and shake them off. A large weight of adhered snow can easily break the branches, because they have not yet acquired elasticity and remain fragile, frozen.
Snow on the lawn and under the trees should not be trampled, otherwise it will too compact the wet soil and block the access of oxygen to the roots
In low-lying places where drainage is laid, snow is also removed and the water intake grooves are cleaned. Excess dampness is useless here, so it can be reduced by clearing the ground in advance.
At the same time, all the snow on the ground must be used profitably. Remove the layer from the beds with a snow shovel so that they warm up faster, and lay them in the tree-trunk circles. It will stop the rapid thawing of the roots, which is quite dangerous in March. The dark soil warms up quickly, and sap flow can begin before the night frosts pass. And live, awakened branches are very sensitive to subzero temperatures and quickly freeze. If there is a lot of snow, divide it between trees, raspberries, and strawberry beds.
Loose watery snow at night turns into a dense crust of ice, which must be pierced in many places with a garden pitchfork in order to thaw faster
If you have sprinkled cuttings, twigs for grafting somewhere, then throw snow on them, and sprinkle with sawdust on top. Those will reflect the sun's rays and slow down the melting of the snow coat. Those who have not had time to prepare cuttings since autumn can cut them now, provided that this year the winter was not too frosty (not lower than -25 °). They are hidden in the same snow pile with a cap of sawdust on top.
In areas with a strong slope, it is worth creating horizontal ramparts from the snow. They will trap the snow as it melts, and the earth will receive more moisture. But the bushes of roses, rhododendrons, hydrangeas and other thermophilic crops, sheltered for the winter, should be slightly opened with the arrival of warm days, giving air access to the roots. This will help prevent mold growth, which loves damp secluded spots.
During the day, steam is formed under the film of covered roses, which settles on the plants by condensate by night. To avoid fungus, slightly open the film on both sides.
A set of measures to prevent burns in trees
Since in March, temperature jumps from subzero temperatures at night to + 10-12 ° in the daytime are often observed, the crust cannot quickly rebuild to such a regime. As a result, under the sun's rays, trunks and branches get burned, and at night - frostbites. To protect the garden from damage, it is at the beginning of March (and not before Easter!) That the spring whitewashing of trees is carried out. You can buy lime and quench it in boiling water, or you can also special paint. Whitewash on a windless day at above-zero temperatures outside.
The thin bark of young trees especially suffers from changes in night and day temperatures, so it is advisable to whiten them as early as possible.
In addition to the trunks, the butcher of coniferous ornamental shrubs is very sensitive to the March sun. They will withstand frosts at -40 °, but under the scorching sun, the tender upper branches will instantly burn out. Therefore, in early March, rare conifers (thuja, junipers, etc.), and from evergreens - boxwoods must be covered with non-woven material or wrapped in newspapers and tied.
Planned pruning and garden treatment
During the winter, some trees could be damaged in the form of frostbites, frozen twigs, and cracked bark. Before the start of sap flow, it is necessary to treat and heal the wounds, and everything that is frozen must be cut off.
The wounds are cleaned with a knife until healthy wood appears, coated with copper sulfate (10 grams per liter of water) and covered with garden varnish. If you find a solution of succinic acid on the market, then it speeds up healing. This composition is used to lubricate the cut-off parts of the trunk, and then the rest of the processing is carried out.
To check which branches have frozen over the winter, just cut off the tops and look at the wood. If it is light, it means that it is alive, if it is brown, cut more.
In March, it’s time to do spring pruning to remove frostbitten or improperly growing branches. In this case, it is imperative to wait for stable temperatures above zero.
Which branches are cut:
- frostbitten and seemingly blackened;
- growing inside the crown;
- which cross and cling to others.
Try to cut it off so that no stump remains. Smear the place with a garden pitch.
Fruiting bushes usually form in the fall, so in March they only correct what went unnoticed. Fruiting raspberry branches, old currant and gooseberry trunks are cut off. The tops of young raspberry twigs are shortened by 10 cm so that the berries are larger.
Ornamental shrubs are also pruned taking into account the branches frozen out during the winter. If in the fall you did not have time to cut forsythia, lilacs, jasmine and other plants that begin to bloom early, then it is better not to touch them. Otherwise, the bush will bloom poorly. If they are slightly frozen, then shorten exactly to the point where the living tissue begins. When pruning any plants, waste is immediately burned or crushed and placed in a compost pit.
Pest control - preparing in advance
As soon as the snow begins to melt, the mice leave their burrows and go to the cellars and basements. To destroy rodents, pickled grain is laid out in secluded spots of the garden or other baits are used.
All kinds of small pests hibernating in the bark of trees are destroyed by chemical and physical methods. For this, a special hunting belt is put on each trunk.
If for the winter the trunks of large trees were covered with roofing material to protect them from frost, then in March they are removed and replaced with trapping belts.
After restoration of stable temperatures outside (more than 5 °), the entire garden is sprayed with insecticides. At the same time, drugs for the prevention of tree diseases, for example, Bordeaux liquid, can be added to the solution.
For stunted shrubs, not chemicals are used, but hot water treatment. Gooseberries, currants are poured from a watering can, trying to hit each branch. Liquid temperature - 70 °. A 60-degree shower is enough for strawberry beds.
Works in the second half of March
After the snow has completely melted, some perennials and bushes may bare the upper part of the root system. It will simply be kicked out of the ground when moisture moves. To keep the plant healthy, all protruding roots must be mulched with peat or humus. But first, the plant is planted, i.e. try to return to their original place in the soil, gently pressing down on the soil so that the roots settle lower.
A thawed lawn also requires care. We need to scoop up the garbage that has flown over the winter. Just use a light fan rake for this that does not sink into the ground. Otherwise, you can pull out a lot of blades of grass from the wet soil. If there are bald spots, add these places. An unexpected frost will only harden the seeds, and they will sprout more amicably.
By mid-March, it is advisable to hang up bird houses if you want to attract birds to protect your property from pests. Two birdhouses are enough to maintain a garden of 10 acres.
A pair of starlings will rid the site of most caterpillars and tree pests, so do not be too lazy to knock down the birdhouse in winter in order to hang it in the garden in early March
At the end of the month, after thawing the soil, fertilizing with nitrogen fertilizers is carried out. They stimulate the rapid growth of young shoots and foliage.
Grapes and roses at the end of March can be freed from winter shelter, provided that the frost has finally left your domain.
As soon as the snow finally leaves the garden and slightly warms, you can raise grapes, roses, raspberries, blackberries on the trellises
As you can see, gardeners do not get bored in March. And if we consider that this month they begin to sow seeds, dive seedlings, then the owners will have a mouthful of trouble.
Rate the article:
(11 votes, average: 3.4 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Gardening in March
Greetings, dear readers!
Earlier I presented to your attention the gardener's calendar for March, where I briefly listed the main activities required for this month. And today I will tell you in more detail about the necessary gardening in March and early April.
According to long-term data, the average monthly temperature in different climatic zones in March ranges from 5 degrees below zero to 5 - 10 degrees Celsius. The number of sunny days is increasing significantly.
- Due to the sharp changes in daily day and night temperatures, the bark of trees is damaged (sunburn, as well as frost holes). Such wounds take a long time and are difficult to heal. Both the bark of the trunk and skeletal branches, most often from the southwestern side, are damaged. To protect plants from such burns, whitewash or cover with any shading or heat-insulating materials (film, paper, rags, etc.)
- It is very important at this time to determine the state of the plants. If you find freezing on fruit trees or damage caused by mice and other common rodents, start treating them urgently. First, clean the wounds with a sharp garden knife until healthy tissue appears. Next - disinfect with copper sulfate. To prepare a disinfectant solution, you need to take 30-50 grams of vitriol per 1 liter of water. Warm the water slightly before diluting the substance. After disinfection, cover this place with garden varnish. If the rodents have eaten the bark of the tree trunk from all sides, the so-called bridge grafting can help out. It should be done during the period of the first sap flow, when the bark easily falls behind. To protect the damaged spots from drying out before inoculation, they should also be covered with pitch and a burlap bandage should be applied and wrapped over a film.
- It's time to remove the trim from the boles of fruit trees and renew their whitewashing, including skeletal branches. For a bucket of water (10 liters), you need to take 2.5 - 3 kg of lime and add 0.5 kg. flour paste to improve the adhesion of the solution. You can also use a special dextrin whitewash powder. Spring whitewashing should be carried out during the day, at an air temperature not lower than plus 1 - 3 degrees. On aged (old) trees, before whitewashing, skeletal branches and boles should be cleaned from dead bark, which is better to burn immediately.
- As soon as the danger of severe frosts has passed, you can accelerate the melting of snow on the trunks. To do this, sprinkle them with ash or peat chips.
- In dry and high areas, it is a good idea to carry out measures to retain melt water. This is done in the following way: small seals of snow in the form of snow rollers are erected across the slope. Melt snow water is very useful for plants, it is characterized by high biological activity. It increases their resistance to diseases and pests and stimulates growth.
- The beginning of spring is the beginning of the main work on pruning all fruit and berry crops. The fate of your garden and harvest depends on this. In young trees that have not yet entered fruiting, pruning is minimized. The growth of branches is regulated by changing the angle of their inclination. But in an aging fruit tree, to maintain its fruiting and growth, on the contrary, they make a strong anti-aging pruning.
- Also, watch out for time to prune your berry bushes. Cut broken and weak branches from young bushes. For five to six year old black currants, remove 3 to 4 old twigs, leaving only strong shoots growing from the very root. (See the article “How to prune black currants.” Do the same with six to seven-year-old bushes of white, red currants, as well as old gooseberry bushes.
- It's time to remove the shelters from the strawberry beds. After drying, it is necessary to clean the plants from diseased and dry leaves, as well as from unnecessary outlets. All this must be burned!
- It's time to pay attention to raspberries. Untie the tied shoots and give them an upright position. If, for some reason, in the fall you did not have time to cut out the dry, fruiting branches, then cut them off now. Leave only strong, healthy ones from annual shoots - at a distance of 20 centimeters from one another. Be sure to trim the tops off to the first good healthy bud.
- A very important type of work in the garden in March is the treatment of plants with solutions of pesticides against diseases and pests. If your plants are highly infected, then in this case, before blooming buds, carry out an eradication spraying spraying can be done only once every three years. Do it at a temperature not lower than plus 5 degrees. Instead of nitrophene, you can use drug No. 30, as well as its substitutes and analogues. Read more in the article "How and when to spray fruit trees", but about the processing of berry bushes, read the article "How to spray the garden." If your plants are very frozen in winter, they should not be treated with pesticides this spring.
- In order to have wonderful fruits, put trapping belts on the stems of fruit trees. They will protect trees from damage to flowers by the apple blossom beetle pest and various weevils.
- Before starting the growth of berry and fruit plants, feed them. For plant nutrition, both mineral and available organic fertilizers are used. The effect of the applied dressings is highly dependent on the type of soil, structure, its mechanical composition, and physical properties. All these factors dictate the types of fertilizers and the dosage of their application. Mineral fertilizers can be simple as well as complex (complex). May contain one or more nutrients at once. Such elements are also called "active". This, of course, is nitrogen, potassium oxide, phosphoric acid in soluble forms. The more of them in the fertilizer, the more concentrated this fertilizer, the less they need to be applied to the soil. Usually, the percentage of active ingredient in the fertilizer is indicated on its packaging. Quite good combined fertilizers are nitroammofoska, nitrophoska, ammophos and others. To feed trees in the spring, you can use nitrogen or nitrogen-containing fertilizers, which are necessary for our plants to grow in early spring and summer. Read the detailed article "Fertilizing Apple Trees" on this topic.
- In March, there comes a period when you need to prepare in time for the arrival of birds useful for the garden. Hang nest boxes, birdhouses, and other famous nesting sites.
I really hope that the article about gardening in March will help you make your garden beautiful and productive! See you, friends!
Garden care in spring. March
Hello dear guests of the site!
Today I will tell you about garden maintenance in spring, namely, in March I will dwell on some folk signs inherent in the first spring month.
In March, it is necessary to renew or whitewash the trunks and skeletal branches of fruit trees to protect them from sunburn.
When the sunny days come, you can start pruning the trees, starting with thinning the large branches, lowering and shaping the crown of the trees.
You can start forming the crown and rejuvenating currant and gooseberry bushes.
At this time, cuttings are harvested for grafting, the branches are collected and burned after pruning.
The branches of fruit trees are the best firewood for cooking kebabs, so you can not burn them right away, but wait until you decide to pamper yourself and your family with delicious grilled meat.
It is also important to carry out the retention of melt water in March and to clear channels for the drainage of melt water in the understated areas.
Here you can read about garden maintenance in April.
What is the weather gonna be like tomorrow?
- If the rooks arrived and started repairing their nests together, then in a day or two expect warm, good weather.
- If the rooks do not undertake the repair of the nests, but only fly over them and for a short time sit on them or next to them and then take off again, the cold weather will last for several more days.
- If a crow hides its beak under its wing, wait for frost tomorrow.
- If a mother and stepmother bloomed on thawed patches, slopes, wait for the warmth.
I want to tell you, friends, that garden maintenance in spring Is an important event. By spending it, you will contribute to the quantity and quality of the future harvest.
Calendar of work in the garden and in the garden by months
Published by zagorod1.ru on 10.02.2016 10.02.2016
Calendar of work in the garden and in the garden by months.
Work in the garden and garden does not stop all year round, gardeners and gardeners should always remember this. And in order not to miss anything, it is sometimes necessary to look into the seasonal calendar of the gardener and the gardener. There are a lot of such calendars today. We offer you the most simple, but at the same time detailed and understandable. A summer resident's calendar, which will become a good helper for you, reminding you in time what and when to plant, when and how to take care of the garden and vegetable garden, what work needs to be done in the country.
To find out the amount of work in the garden and vegetable garden in each specific month, click on the name of the month.
|Photo report||Month||Site guide|
|January||Gardening and gardening in january month|
|February||Gardening and gardening in february month|
|March||Gardening and gardening in march month|
|April||Gardening and gardening in april month|
|May||Gardening and gardening in May|
|June||Gardening and gardening in June|
|September||Gardening and gardening in september month|
|October||Gardening and gardening in october month|
|December||Gardening and gardening in December month|
Calendar of work in the garden and in the garden by months. Work in the country for months. What needs to be done in the garden and in the garden for months. All that needs to be done in the country for months. List of work in the garden and in the garden by months.