A method of growing pepper seedlings for the lazy
Hello, dear friends - summer residents and gardeners!
I offer you an original way of growing seedlings, which does not involve picking and regular watering of seedlings. Therefore, I call it a way for lazy gardeners or for those who do not have enough time for daily plant care.
It will be about growing pepper seedlings on wick irrigation. Peppers, both sweet and spicy, are a moisture-loving culture that does not react well to a dive, since even with the most careful dive, small roots are damaged. As a result, seedlings slow down their growth, often for a long time, and this entails delayed fruit ripening.
To avoid stopping the development of seedlings, peppers need to be grown without picking, and for this I use a wick irrigation design.
As a result, you can get a triple benefit:
- firstly, the soil in the container is moistened without your efforts, and the plants receive as much moisture as they need;
- secondly, by avoiding picking, you save the plants from stress, which means that there will be no stoppage in the development of seedlings. In addition, seeds can be sown two to three weeks later than when grown with a pick;
- thirdly, you save not only time, but also effort, because you do not waste them on picking and regular watering.
Preparing the container and wick
To grow pepper seedlings on wick irrigation, I use plastic bottles or five to six liter eggplants. The larger the dishes, the more seedlings you can grow: only 4-5 plants will fit in a plastic bottle, so I prefer to use baklags.
I cut the plastic container horizontally so that the top, which is inserted into the bottom with the neck down, does not touch the bottom of the bottle. In the lid, you need to make a small hole with a hot nail or knitting needle for the wick to come out.
I make a wick by cutting off a strip of 5 mm wide from dense oversized tights: this material regulates the necessary moisture better than any other. I cut the strip on one side and stretch it well to make a thin cord. I thread one end of the cord through the hole in the lid and push it into the top of the bottle, after which I put the lid on the neck and screw it on.
Then I adjust the length of the cord so that after assembling the structure, it reaches the bottom of the lower part. Small pieces of foam inserted into the lid from the inside will help you to fix the wick in this position. I also use polystyrene as a drainage material: I put it in the inverted upper half of the bottle. The foam will prevent soil from entering through the hole in the cover into the lower part of the structure.
Holding the cord with my fingers, I pour purchased soil into the bottle over the drainage, to which I added a little coconut fiber, perlite and wood ash to make it friable. In the compacted state, the thickness of the soil layer should be 5-6 cm. On this layer I put the second end of the cord in a ring and sprinkle it with a second layer of substrate. As a result, the surface of the soil should be 5-7 cm below the edge of the container.
After I have leveled the surface and moistened the soil well, I proceed to sowing.
Sowing pepper seeds for seedlings
I will sow a high-yielding early-ripening Barbie hybrid, characterized by increased resistance to adverse factors and good fruit set even in the heat. I will not disinfect the seeds, since they have already been processed by the manufacturer. There are only 8 seeds in a pack, but I expect that all of them will sprout.
I spread dry seeds on the surface of the soil, moistened them with a spray bottle and covered them with a two-centimeter layer of sterile breathable coconut substrate, which will protect the seedlings from the black leg. I also slightly compacted the substrate. Now, a few centimeters of free space remains up to the upper edge of the container so that I can add substrate if necessary during the growth of seedlings.
It remains for me to pour water into the lower container and put one or two tablets of activated carbon in it so that the water does not turn sour and does not have to be changed often. I cover the upper part of the structure with a film: greenhouse conditions will help the seeds to grow faster.
On January 17, I sowed dry seeds from my peppers into a 2-liter plastic bottle. Today, the seedlings are forming the first true leaves and long roots have already grown. I sowed the seeds densely, but a little later I will leave only 4-5 strong plants in the bottle, and cut the rest with scissors at the surface level, because pulling out can damage the roots of the remaining seedlings.
If you haven’t sown peppers this way, you can experiment with growing several plants in a 2 liter bottle. I am sure that you will like the result of the experiment. And I wish you friendly seedlings, good mood and excellent harvests.
Video of growing pepper seedlings without picking
- Read the topic on Wikipedia
- Features and other plants of the family Solanaceae
- List of all species on The Plant List
- More information on World Flora Online
Sections: Fruit Garden Plants Solanaceous Plants on P
You will need: Toilet paper, plastic wrap, plastic cup, or cut plastic bottle.
Take the cheapest toilet paper, without fragrances, unpainted. Disposable paper napkins will work as well, but paper is no doubt much more convenient to use.
- Prepare plastic strips, cut them to the same width as toilet paper (about 10 cm). The length will depend on the number of seeds taken for seedlings (approximately 50 cm). Spread the stripes out on the table.
- On top of the film, put 2-3 layers of toilet paper if the paper is too thin.
- Dampen the toilet paper. Best sprayed with a spray bottle.
- Stepping back 2 cm from the top edge of the toilet paper, sow pepper seeds at intervals of about 3 cm.This is done so that in the future the root system of neighboring plants does not get confused, and when planting in the ground, it would be possible to separate the seedlings without problems without injuring the roots ...
- Put a layer of toilet paper on top of the seeds, moisten. Then a layer of polyethylene.
- The entire multi-layer construction is rolled into a loose roll.
- Next, so that it does not unwind, drag the roll with an elastic band and place it in a plastic cup or other suitable container so that the seeds are on top. Pour about half of the water into the container, so that the water does not reach the seeds.
- Place a glass of seeds on the window. At this stage, the seeds are provided with moisture, which will rise up the toilet paper, air and nutrients that nature itself has laid in the seeds.
- Wait 10 days for the first shoots to appear.
- Pepper seedlings are minimal. Make sure that there is always fresh water in the glass. When the first shoots appear, they should be fed with fertilizers based on humic acids. The next feeding should be done not earlier than the appearance of the first real leaf.
When the plant grows 2 true leaves, it will be ready to be transplanted into the ground. For replanting pepper seedlings, prepare the soil and separate containers. Remove the roll from the glass, place it on the table and unfold. Carefully peel off the top layer of plastic wrap. Separate the plant and plant it in a container of soil. The paper that has detached along with the roots does not interfere with the plant at all.
If you did the sowing correctly, then the plants will quickly take root, they will not stretch out, they will turn out to be strong, with a thick stem and wide leaves. Chunky healthy pepper seedlings are the key to a rich future harvest.
Regular care of pepper seedlings is then done in the usual way.
Watch the video planting pepper for seedlings without land:
It is necessary to choose high-quality, fresh seeds that are capable of sprouting in 5-7 days. The choice of seeds not of the first freshness or violation of the conditions of keeping will delay germination by 10-14 days.
Tips of a competent vegetable grower Oktyabrina Ganichkina, how to germinate pepper seeds at home:
- Make rejection of low-quality planting material. Add 30 g of salt to 1 liter of water, immerse the seeds in water for 10 minutes. Normal seeds will sink, bad ones will remain on the surface.
- Stimulate seed germination. Soak them in Epin, Zircon or Stimula for 12 hours. The consumption rate of the stimulant is 2 drops per 100 ml of water.
- Place the planting material in damp cloth bags for two days. Seeds that have hatched are capable of germinating for 5-7 days.
To obtain friendly shoots, it is recommended to warm up the seeds in hot water for 15-30 minutes at a temperature of 50..60 ° C.
Prepare the soil using:
- 2 parts of humus,
- 2 parts peat,
- 1 part sand.
By choosing a method of growing seedlings without picking, you can use peat tablets instead of soil. You can also use ready-made soil for seedlings.
Pepper does not tolerate acidic soils, a pH of 6-7 is recommended. Not suitable for him:
- fresh manure,
- excess nitrogen,
- high doses of mineral fertilizers.
Sowing seeds and caring for the crop
Seeds are planted at a distance of 2 cm, for successful growth it is necessary to create greenhouse conditions, temperature + 25..32 ° C.
- 2-3 cm Sowing depth
- 6-15 days Emergence of seedlings
- 3 months Seedling age
Seedlings can rot if they are deeply buried during a pick, so they can be sown initially at a great depth. The containers are covered and placed in a warm place.
Germination rate depends on the maintained temperature:
- + 28..32 ° C - 6-7 days,
- + 25..27 ° C - 14-15 days,
- up to + 22 ° C - up to 20 days.
Do not raise the temperature above 36 degrees for a long time - the seeds will lose their germination.
When the first shoots appear, the containers are transferred to a bright place and the temperature is lowered to + 16..18 ° C. It is important to regularly rotate the container with seedlings so that the seedlings do not reach for the sun; it is also recommended to supplement it with a phytolamp for several hours a day.
Watering - spraying from a spray bottle. This way of moistening the soil is not washed out.
Picking and feeding
At the age of over a month, when 1-2 true leaves appear in seedlings, a pick is carried out.
An important point: for better survival, the pepper is not exposed to bright light for the first 2-4 days after the pick. Leave the cups in a shaded place, it is useful if the temperature is 4-5 degrees below optimal.
After 2 weeks, it is recommended to make the first feeding, the second - after another 2-3 weeks.
Growing seedlings in peat tablets
Many gardeners grow seedlings in peat tablets. With this method of growing seedlings, there is no need to dive. Therefore, the bush develops faster and begins to bear fruit earlier.
Vegetable growers who use this method recommend placing two pepper seeds in a tablet, as some seeds will not sprout. If two seeds germinate, then remove the weaker sprout. It is better not to pull out a seedling with a root, but to cut it off at ground level.
If there are four leaves, the seedlings need to be grown in pots. First, the mesh is removed from the peat tablet so that the roots straighten out and do not twist up.
Video: sowing sweet peppers for seedlings
Video: growing pepper without picking
Planting seedlings in the ground
It is important to plant the pepper seedlings on time in a permanent place of growth. Their overexposure will worsen the survival rate in a new place and the pepper will bear less fruit.
At the end of spring, peppers are transplanted into pots up to 0.8 liters. Planting on an open plot of land - at the stage of the appearance of the first buds at an average daily air temperature of + 15..18 ° C. Before planting, the plants are hardened.
In most of the country, suitable days come in mid-late May, in the northern regions - early June.
In order for the plant to take root well, summer residents recommend doing a transshipment with a clod of earth. Thus, the root system is not disturbed and immediately begins to grow. This moment is important when planting peppers for seedlings in cold regions: in Siberia, in the Urals. This week, while the plant is getting used to the new location, will shift the harvest time, which is undesirable for a very short summer period.
Above, we examined when to plant peppers for seedlings in 2020 according to the lunar calendar, as well as how to correctly calculate the planting dates. Have a nice harvest!
A few tips for growing pepper in a "lazy" way
Firstly, ready-made peppers-fruits, from plants from which the seedlings were pinched over the entire area, ripen two weeks later than those where the pinching was only a small part of it.
Secondly, those plants that were left without pinching will give birth to peppers much earlier than those that have been pinched. But the yield itself on them will be much (three times on average) lower than on pinched ones.
Thirdly, pepper seedlings should be grown in the ground at the same time as tomatoes - from June 10th.
Fourthly, a bed with seedlings of peppers is mulched immediately after planting, with a layer of fertile soil of 6 centimeters. Fertile soil for mulch should be created from a mixture of humus, sawdust, finely chopped weeds and straw.
Fifth, watering the peppers should be regular, abundant, but not frequent.
Sixth, as soon as the fruit grows normally green, it must be removed from the bush. If this is not done, then the ovaries that follow it will stop growing. In this case, the abundance of the crop will be lost.