Useful properties and contraindications of black currant
Black currant is a member of the gooseberry family. It gained popularity several centuries ago, when people learned about its health benefits.... It got its name due to the aroma exuded by berries and leaves (in Old Russian "currant" - "strong smell"). Let's get acquainted with the beneficial properties and contraindications for the use of this berry.
Composition and useful properties of currant fruits for the human body
A small berry of black currant hides an incredible amount of vitamins inside itself:
- Vitamin C - a powerful tool for strengthening the immune system. Most of it remains even when currant berries are frozen. In combination with vitamin P, it will help prevent atherosclerosis;
- Vitamin A (carotene) improves metabolism, helps to strengthen immunity, accelerates healing processes, as an antioxidant is important in the prevention of cancer;
- Vitamin E accelerates the processes of tissue regeneration, promotes the absorption of vitamin A, prevents blood clots, strengthens the immune system, participates in the synthesis of hormones;
- Vitamins of group K increase blood clotting, which is especially important for patients in the postoperative period;
- B vitamins ensure the normal functioning of the nervous system, support the activity of the immune system.
Also, black currant is rich in other useful organic substances:
- Macro- and microminerals: zinc, potassium, iron, manganese, etc. are important for the good functioning of all organs, energy production and tissue repair;
- Tannins have a diuretic and anti-inflammatory effect;
- Pectins prevent the development of inflammatory processes, prevent the appearance of neoplasms in cells, promote the elimination of toxins;
- Phytoncides counteract the development of pathogenic bacteria;
- Folic acid reduces the effect of the harmful effects of radiation on the human body, is a catalyst for the elimination of toxins and heavy metals (such as lead, mercury, cobalt);
- Cellulose contributes to the normalization of digestive processes and the work of the stomach and intestines, prevents the occurrence of cancer, lowers the level of cholesterol in the blood;
- Organic acids stimulate intestinal peristalsis, limit the growth and reproduction of bacteria, stimulate the secretion of gastric juice.
Black and red currants are similar in the composition of vitamins and minerals, differing only in the concentration of a particular substance. In addition to the above, red currants are a source of serotonin and coumarin, which have anticancer and analgesic effects.
Contraindications to use
In addition to benefits, currants can also cause harm. Black currant is not recommended for thrombophlebitis, as the high content of vitamin K in berries enhances blood clotting.
Currants, both black and red, should not be used for gastritis, stomach ulcers (with increased acidity), inflammation of the duodenum. It is dangerous in case of hepatitis, the risk of heart attack or stroke.
Currants, both red and black, are highly allergenic. Therefore, pregnant women and young children should be especially careful about its use, since there is a high risk of developing allergic reactions.
Medicinal properties of black currant
The health benefits of berries for men and women
Eating black currant has a positive effect on immunity... The reason for this is the high content of vitamin C. 50 g of freshly picked berries contains its daily requirement for humans.
Black currant berries are useful for treating diphtheria, dysentery, as they have a strong antimicrobial effect. They also several times enhance the effect of antibiotics on the human body.
For intestinal disorders, upper respiratory tract and kidney infections, it is recommended to consume blackcurrant juice... Freshly squeezed juice should be diluted with a small amount of boiled water. Juice can be preserved for future use, making preparations for the winter. To do this, sorted, washed and well-dried berries are crushed, filled with distilled water and boiled for 5 minutes. The mixture is filtered through a sieve and poured into sterilized jars, which are tightened with lids (for 1 kg of berries - 200 ml of water). If desired, the juice can be sweetened
Dried black currant accelerates the cleansing of the body from radioactive particles and heavy metals (cobalt, lead, mercury, etc.) In order to dry black currant berries, they must be carefully sorted out, leaving only whole and healthy looking, rinsed thoroughly and dried on a cloth that absorbs moisture well. Next, the berries are laid out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and placed in an oven at 60 ° C for 3-4 hours, slightly opening the cabinet door. After the drying time, if the berries do not release juice when squeezed, it means that they have reached the degree of readiness. Dried currants are stored in linen bags, hermetically sealed containers made of glass or tin.
Most of the vitamins in currant berries are preserved during drying and freezing. Therefore, you can make stocks of berries for the winter without fear of loss of healing properties.
Leaf infusion recipes
Useful substances are also found in blackcurrant leaves, from which infusions with medicinal properties are made. What concentration of infusions should be? For stomach ulcers and gastritis, you can use a tincture prepared according to an old recipe: 20 young fresh leaves are poured into 1 liter of dry red wine, infused for 20 days, taken 100 g before meals.
For rheumatism and gout: 3 tablespoons of chopped leaves are steamed with 0.5 liters of boiling water and infused for about an hour in a thermos. It is taken in 100 ml shortly before meals.
Infusion of 2 tablespoons of leaves and a glass of boiling water, stimulates the stomach and intestines, relieves constipation, dysbiosis, hemorrhoids, suppresses vomiting.
Warm infusion of currant leaves helps with infectious and colds: sore throat, bronchitis, SARS, flu, reduces cough. To prepare medicinal tea, 2 tablespoons of the leaves are steamed in a glass of boiling water. The mixture is heated for 15 minutes in a water bath. It is taken by a sip before meals.
Skin diseases can also be alleviated and accelerated with blackcurrant leaves. A bath with the addition of a decoction of black currant leaves will be useful for various dermatitis, itching, rashes, eczema (Boil 50 g of leaves with branches with 1 liter of water for 3 minutes and filter). Infusion of blackcurrant leaves helps to eliminate prickly heat in children, relieve them of skin rashes and diathesis (6 tablespoons of leaves are poured into 0.5 liters of boiling water and infused overnight in a thermos).
For chronic fatigue, to strengthen the body and restore strength in the postoperative period, it is recommended to use black currant, elderberry and blueberry leaves mixed in equal shares. A tablespoon of the mixture is poured with a glass of boiling water and infused for 1 hour in a thermos. It is consumed as tea.
The healing properties of red currant
The benefits of berries, juice recipe
Red currant is used as a general tonic, helps with colitis, anemia, has a diuretic effect, accelerates the removal of toxins, relieves constipation.
Juice made from red currant berries has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, improves peristalsis, helps to eliminate chronic constipation. In the heat, such juice can easily quench your thirst, and in case of inflammatory processes, on the contrary, it will help to reduce the temperature. In addition, it has general tonic properties, and also helps to get rid of nausea and suppress the gag reflex.
To make juice: 60 g of red currant berries should be brewed in a glass of boiling water, left for 3 hours. After straining, the infusion is ready for use.
The use of leaves in traditional medicine
Red currant leaves also have medicinal properties. It would seem, what benefit can they bring? In the treatment of cystitis 50 g of leaves are poured with a glass of boiling water and insisted in a thermos for several hours. Take half a glass 3-5 times a day.
Diuretic action will have an infusion of 20 g of leaves, brewed with a glass of boiling water. Drink it 2 tablespoons 3 times a day.
Thus, currants must be present in the diet, the medicinal properties of its berries and leaves will help to cope with many ailments. but you should not get too carried away with its use, especially with thrombosis, heart attacks, strokes, regardless of the variety, be it Chinese or golden currant, because everything is good in moderation.
Black currant - useful properties and contraindications, tea with currant leaf
Useful properties of black currant and contraindications for use in folk medicine, the preparation of aromatic currant tea is the topic of our article alter-zdrav.ru for today.
Summertime is famous for the abundance of berries, fruits and vegetables. Eating them allows the body to stock up on vitamins for the whole year. Few of the owners of summer cottages think about what valuable treasures are hidden in the beds. For example, black currant (see photo) not particularly loved because of its specific taste. Although even our ancestors knew that it is an irreplaceable source of vitamins, as well as a sure way in cosmetic facial care.
Useful properties of black currant
1. Due to the high content of vitamins C, E, A, D and other vitamins and microelements, currant berries have an immunostimulating effect, strengthen health, help fight colds, ARVI and other inflammatory processes in the body
2. The high content of natural antioxidants - vitamins C, E and beta-carotenes makes currants one of the most effective means for fighting free radicals. These substances, formed as a result of oxidative reactions, accelerate the aging of cells and tissues, causing premature aging of the cardiovascular, nervous, musculoskeletal and other systems. Antioxidants not only slow down the pathological aging process, but also prevent the formation of malignant cells
3. Anthocyanins, phytoncides, organic acids and other substances cause anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of black currant, it helps in the fight against colds, chronic infections and other pathologies
4. Black currant is useful for blood vessels and the human circulatory system, it is recommended to use it in the treatment and prevention of diseases of the cardiovascular system, hypertension, vascular diseases and even diabetes mellitus
5. The high content of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other biologically active substances helps to fight against such age-related changes as sclerosis, mental decline and even Alzheimer's disease.
- Many modern mothers make the mistake of excluding all foods that provoke allergies from the diet of their child. Of course, currants can cause a negative reaction, but if you adhere to the norm, the baby's health will only be strengthened.
- For children, the berry should be given in the form of juice, diluted with water in equal proportions. Such a drink will raise hemoglobin levels, which is extremely important for young patients with anemia.
- Also, the berry enhances brain activity, so it will benefit schoolchildren and preschoolers. When the baby learns to chew food, you can offer him whole fruits.
- The presented product contains a lot of ascorbic acid. Vitamin C is important for the immunity of the child, increasing the resistance to seasonal colds. This substance prevents rickets and increases food cravings.
The benefits and useful properties of black currant
In addition to all of the above useful properties and contraindications, black currant is also used in the preparation of delicious teas. If you add a little black currant leaves to herbal or even ordinary tea, then it will increase your immunity in a short time, and will also have a general tonic. These leaves contain many medicinal properties, since they contain biologically active tannins, essential oils, phytoncides and vitamins. It must be said that black currant leaves contain even more vitamin C than berries. Therefore, they are used both as a tonic and as an antiseptic. In addition, such leaves also have anti-rheumatic properties, diuretic, and purifying properties.
Its leaves are also used for gout, gastritis, as well as various diseases of the cardiovascular system. As a remedy, an infusion on currant leaves is usually used. It is a very mild diaphoretic and diuretic, and in the recommended doses it is completely safe for health.
The benefit of black currant lies in the fact that traditional medicine uses decoctions and branches, and leaves, and berries of black currant to treat various dermatitis, eye diseases and exudative diathesis. For example, previously, scrofula in a child was treated only with black currant leaves.
In order for you to prepare an infusion of black currant or a decoction, you must take fresh or pre-dried black currant leaves. Of course, it is best to take young leaves for these purposes. At the beginning of spring, pick young blackcurrant leaves, prepare a fortifying drink, which will contain a huge amount of vitamins. It is easy to prepare such a drink - you need to take boiled water and mix it with any very acidic juice. After this mixture, you need to pour the washed fresh currant leaves, the drink needs a whole day to brew, and then you can strain the resulting infusion and add sugar to it. Drink half a glass of the infusion every day.
The benefits of black currant also lie in the fact that you can make fruit vinegar from its leaves. You need to take fresh black currant leaves, put in a jar, pour cold water, but boiled, mixed with sugar - 100 grams of sugar is added per liter of water. Everything is covered with gauze. Within 2 months, the leaves should be fermented, and after that they need to be filtered and bottled.
Black currant, the benefits of which are undeniable, is also used to prepare medicinal baths for rashes and skin diseases.
Blackcurrant leaves have very aromatic leaves, which is why they are often used in home canning. Very often, housewives canned not only vegetables with the addition of black currant, but also the leaves themselves, then they are added to salads and meat, to fish - for piquancy and so that the dishes are more fortified.
In order to pick the leaves for canned food, you should choose large but tender leaves without galls. They are washed, placed very tightly in a jar, and then poured with brine. The brine is prepared as follows - 300 grams of salt is needed per liter of water. After the dishes should be covered with a linen cloth and stored in the cold. Those who are very concerned about their health, and at the same time love the most unusual dishes, should add black currant leaves for cooking. They add a special taste and aroma to any of the prepared dishes.
Black currant, the beneficial properties of which are beneficial not only to people, is also good in the garden - after all, many insects and pests cannot tolerate the rather strong pleasant aroma of black currant - it simply scares them away, and your harvest remains intact.
White currant - useful properties and contraindications
The taste of this currant cannot be compared to anything. It seems that it grows by itself and does not require special care. But gardeners are making every effort to grow this beauty, and so that the beneficial properties of white currant and contraindications are balanced.
It is one of the popular shrub species of the gooseberry family. White currants are not like their direct relatives - red currants and black currants, not only in appearance. Their taste is also slightly different. If you try white berries and compare them with black, you can feel that they are different. White berries are less delicate in taste and do not have the desired fragility.
So, what is the value of white currant, the useful properties and contraindications of which are being studied for medical purposes. It is prized for its nutritional properties. The berries contain a lot of healing microelements.
Useful properties of white currant
This type of currant contains substances useful for the human body, such as:
- organic acid groups
- groups of vitamins
- vegetable sugar
- pectin substances.
The latter, during processing, convert many products into a jelly-like state.
What else is white currant useful for? It is believed that there are substances in white currants that have a good effect on the composition of the blood, they are needed to remove toxins from the body.
It is very convenient to have several currant bushes on your land plot. These berries can hang on the bushes for a long time, until autumn. So the owners of summer cottages have the opportunity to prepare delicious and nutritious jam for the winter. It will help to cope with frequent colds during the cold season.
Many people know firsthand about the medicinal properties of white currant. Such currants are especially popular in the field of herbal medicine. Although we must admit that black currant has a much higher utility in this sense. However, the white sister should not be underestimated either.
It contains a lot of iron, magnesium and potassium, which are necessary for the normal functioning of the heart, for the delivery of useful substances to the vessels. There are even more of these elements in white currants than in black ones.
This berry is also useful in that it contains: folic acid, calcium and sodium, phosphorus, vitamin B, beta-carotene. It turns out a whole arsenal of useful microelements that are so necessary to maintain our health. Such a storehouse of substances beneficial to health grows near us in large quantities. It remains only to thank Mother Nature for such valuable gifts.
What else do you need to know about white currants?
White currant is a valuable crop in all countries where it grows. It is worth considering that white currants are suitable even for those who, due to allergies, cannot afford to eat red or black currants. It's just that there are no dyes in white berries that can cause an allergic reaction.
Popular due to its taste, white currant differs in varieties. Any of them are valued for the fact that they have a beneficial effect on the body, launching the necessary metabolic mechanisms.
The berries contain a very valuable vitamin A, which affects immunity, enhances vision, and has a good effect on cell metabolism. But this is not all the properties of white currant. The last discovery was that the fact that the berry prevents the formation and development of tumors and fights premature aging.
No matter how useful the product is, people are always trying to find out about the possible negative properties of white currant. In fact, there are reasons why someone will have to give up currants. There are those who simply do not like this berry. But basically, contraindications are associated with gastrointestinal diseases. It is not recommended to eat berries for those who have gastritis or who suffer from increased acidity in the stomach. It is also required to give up white currant if duodenal disease is diagnosed. It is necessary to exclude white currants from your diet if the berry can intensify the course of the disease.
Use in home cosmetology
Currant components are added in the manufacture of cosmetics. At home, you can also get effective body care products.
- Infusion for fast hair growth. You need 2 tbsp. spoons of unfermented raw materials pour 1 liter of hot water, leave for 10 - 12 hours. Drink 2 - 3 weeks, 200 ml 3 times a day. The course can be repeated in 2 - 3 months.
- Acne mask. For cooking, you need to take 150 ml of sour milk and 1.5 tbsp. tablespoons of powdered leaves, mix, filter. Apply on face for 3 months 2 - 3 times a week for 15 - 20 minutes. Rinse off with water at room temperature.
- Healing baths. Helps maintain skin elasticity, get rid of prickly heat and other rashes. For the procedure, use a decoction prepared from 50 g of dry raw materials. A medicinal bath can be taken 2 times a week for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Skin whitening mask. The product is prepared from 1 raw egg, 1 teaspoon of oat flour, 1 teaspoon of the vegetable component. The ingredients are mixed and applied to the skin for 15 minutes. The procedure is repeated weekly until defects are eliminated.
- Antiseptic compress. It is used to heal small wounds, acne. For manufacturing, you need a herbal decoction and a gauze napkin. The liquid is made at the rate of 10 g of currant leaves, 15 g of medicinal chamomile or 3 bags of chamomile tea, 25 g of pharmacy sea buckthorn, 0.5 liters of water. Strain the broth and cool to room temperature. Apply a moistened napkin on the face, hold for 10 - 15 minutes. The course lasts 3 - 5 days.