Features of caring for bush cherries Baby
Shrub (or dwarf) cherry has become widespread due to an interesting advantage - small growth. One of the dwarf varieties is Malyshka. Considering a few more advantages of the variety, gardeners will not be mistaken with planting this culture in their garden.
Description of cherries Baby
The new variety of Duke owes its birth to the work of the specialists of the Saratov Fruit and Berry Breeding Station (hence the other name of the variety: Saratov baby). "Parents" of the Baby are Duke (a hybrid of cherry and cherry) and Early (subspecies of sweet cherry). The baby got its name from its small size.
The crown of a tree with a free form of growth is spherical, medium thickened, easy to form. It grows quickly, but stops at a height of 2–2.5 m. The shoots are thick, brown in color, the bark is light, smooth. The leaves are large, dark green in color, with pointed edges. Baby on bouquet branches bears fruit.
Baby's fruits - shiny red cherries
Fruit weight - 6 g on average. The berries are very beautiful - shiny, with a smooth, bright red skin. The pulp is tender, juicy, and separates from the stone without effort. The taste is sweet and sour.
Table: pros and cons of the variety
|The small size of the tree makes it easy to care for and harvest||The cultivar requires pollinators|
|The roots are short, so they do not reach the groundwater level and do not come into contact with them||Fruits on legs do not sit very tightly and crumble in windy weather|
|Good index of winter hardiness|
|Unpretentiousness - it can grow both in the northern regions and in the southern ones, easily adapting to different climatic conditions|
|Resistant to such a common disease of fruit and berry crops as coccomycosis|
|Cherries ripen in mid-June|
|The fruits are tasty and well transported|
|The tree grows fast|
Baby's compact size makes pruning, spraying, harvesting easy
Tree planting rules
For the Malyshka variety, you need to choose a well-lit area of the garden with sandy loam or loamy soil that has good air and water permeability. The distance to other trees or buildings should be at least 2.5 m. Drafts are not good for cherries, so it is worth taking care of protection from the wind.
It is better to plant the Baby in the spring, after the snow melts, while the hole and the ground should be prepared in the fall - dig up and apply fertilizers: 15 kg of compost, 100 g of phosphorus and potassium (per 1 m2).
For Baby, pollinators are needed - other varieties of cherries or sweet cherries. From cherry trees it is better to choose Nord Star, Lyubskaya, Molodezhnaya, Turgenevka, from cherries - Drogana yellow or Donchanka.
Before buying, you need to inspect the roots of the seedling. They should be free from signs of disease and stains, not dry. The twigs are well bent, elastic, also free from rot and dry areas. The cherry seedling is 2 years old, while the length of the roots is about 30 cm.
Step by step description
- Dig a hole 2 weeks before planting or in the fall. Dimensions - diameter 60 cm, depth 50 cm.
- Stick the stake in the center of the hole.
- Form a mound at the bottom of the pit.
- Place a seedling on a mound and spread the roots evenly along the slopes.
The roots in the hole must be neatly spread out
- Cover with earth and tamp, making sure that the root collar remains 5 cm above the ground surface.
Planting trees is convenient for two
- Tie the seedling to the stake support.
- Form an earthen roller at a distance of 30 cm from the trunk, pour 30 liters of water into the resulting hole.
- Mulch the ground under the tree with sawdust in a layer of 5 cm.
To obtain a high yield, it is necessary to properly care for the tree and follow some recommendations.
Although the Malyshka cherry variety is drought-resistant, drying out of the soil is unacceptable. If the precipitation rate in summer is within normal limits, then the cherry is rarely watered - after flowering, during the formation of fruit ovaries, after picking berries and in the fall (water-charging irrigation). Calculation - 10-15 buckets of water for one tree. Loosening and mulching after watering will help keep moisture in the ground for longer.
Loosening and mulching after watering will help retain moisture in the ground for a longer period
Formative pruning of a tree contributes to the creation of a beautiful crown, and sanitary - to get rid of old and sick shoots, thinning the crown (it must be remembered that diseases develop well in too dense foliage, pests multiply quickly).
- In an annual tree, the upper part of the main shoot is shortened by a third, thus stimulating the appearance of new lateral branches.
- To increase the yield and prevent diseases in 2- and 3-year-old trees, 30-35% of the length of all shoots is removed, the lowest branches are cut to the trunk. In this case, hemp should not be left, the surface must be smooth.
In subsequent years, it is recommended to carry out sanitary pruning: to remove long shoots, as well as broken ones growing deeper into the crown, affected by diseases or pests.
After pruning, all branches are burned, and the cuts are processed with garden varnish.
It is better to prune cherries in the spring (before the sap flow begins), since in the fall, cold weather can suddenly come, and the tree will go to winter without having time to recover.
About a third of the length of the shoots should be removed, achieving the formation of a beautiful crown.
Top dressing is an important cherry care measure to ensure tree health and a good harvest.
Table: fertilization schedule
|In the spring when digging a trunk circle||5 kg of compost|
|During the growing season||10 l mullein, 1 kg ash per 50 l water|
|In September when digging||70 g potassium, 200 g phosphorus|
|Every 5 years in the fall when digging||400 g lime|
Preparing for winter
The Malyshka variety has good frost resistance, but this does not mean that winter preparation measures are excluded in this case. Before the cold season, it is necessary to clear the ground under the trunk of plant residues, dig up the soil, carry out water-charging irrigation (taking into account the small growth of the tree and the superficial root system, 10-15 buckets of water will be enough). Then mulch the ground near the trunk with peat or humus (layer 8–10 cm). In regions with especially cold winters, it is recommended to cover the bole with sacking or spruce trees, and when snow appears, paddle it to the trunk.
To insulate the trunk, you can cover it with burlap or spruce branches.
Diseases and pests: table
|Diseases / pests||How do they manifest||Prevention measures||Control measures|
|Anthracnose||Pink bumps appear on the fruits.|
|Moniliosis||Gray growths appear on all parts of the plant.|
|Hole spot||Brown spots appear on all parts of the plant.|
|Cherry aphid||It feeds on tree juices.||Treatment with Inta-Vir, Iskra (according to the instructions).|
|Cherry sawfly||Damages leaves, larvae eat away the pulp of the leaf.||Treatment with drugs Aktara, Inta-Vir, Iskra (according to the instructions).|
|Weevil||Damages the ovaries, the larvae eat the kernels of the berries.||Treatment with Inta-Vir, Kinmiks, Karbofos preparations (according to the instructions).|
Diseases and pests of the Saratov baby in the photo
The baby begins to bear fruit 3-4 years after planting. The berries ripen in mid-June. One adult tree can produce an average of about 15 kg of fruit per season.
You need to pick cherries in dry weather, not in the sun. To preserve the berries longer, you should not wash them, it is better to just put them in a bag in the refrigerator. So the harvest will last up to 10 days. The baby has good transportability.
Baby keeps up in mid-June
Cherry berries are very useful; they retain all their properties during the freezing and drying process. Canned preparations are also made from them - compotes, preserves, jams. Fresh cherry Malyshka is also very good.
Video: how to increase the yield of cherries
Reviews of gardeners about Malyshka cherry varieties
I also have a duke Saratovskaya Malyshka, who is also pleased with him. The variety is really small in size, compact, with large tasty fruits. It is the earliest ripe, but it is more affected by coccomycosis than others, and requires increased attention in this regard.
I have two dukes - Spartan and Baby. Both grow normally, do not freeze. The Spartan is more flattering, the Baby is thicker. Until this year, the flowers were single. Both were surprised this year. They bloomed a week and a half apart. The baby, apparently, was perfectly pollinated by someone - unlike all my cherries, she was simply hung with berries. The berries - like large sweet cherries, ripened very early - in July. In general, I liked it very much!
Baby is a hybrid of cherry and sweet cherry, suitable for cultivation in many Russian regions due to its winter hardiness. Compact size, early ripening of berries, good taste of fruits, relative unpretentiousness in care make the Baby an undeniable contender for a place in the garden.
Cherry variety baby description
Cherry tree Malyshka is a hybrid variety that was bred in 1995 at the Saratov experimental station. The hybrid was obtained from a cross between cherry, sweet cherry (duke) and varieties of cherry seedling Rannyaya. The variety is in great demand among gardeners due to its rich composition and useful properties.
A brief description of
A cherry variety like Baby is a hybrid. The description of the variety has the following points:
- tree height - no more than 2.5 meters
- the crown is spherical
- branchy cherry branches
- shoots - thickened, have an arched shape
- bark color - dark brown
- the variety is characterized by the formation of fruits on clusters of bouquet
- the shape of the foliage is ovoid-elongated, the color is rich green, and there are teeth at the edges
- white, large flowers
- drupe weight 5-6 grams
- berries are slightly flattened near the cutting
- the fruits have a juicy, bright red pulp, from which the stone easily leaves.
Particular attention should be paid to the taste that Malyshka cherry possesses. The variety is characterized by a light, pleasant sour note. As for the attractiveness of the presented variety, it is estimated at five points. The tasting grade was 4.4 points.
Flowering occurs in early May. The variety ripens after the twentieth of June. Cherry Malyshka is capable of producing up to fifteen kilograms of harvest from one tree. The fruiting period of the proposed variety is observed after 3-4 years of planting in the soil.
This variety contains the following useful components in fruits:
- sugar - 7.5%
- dry matter - 14.5%
- ascorbic acid - 8/100 grams
- various acids - 1.2%.
A cherry variety like Baby has the following useful, medicinal properties:
- enhancing the action of ascorbic acid in the human body
- implementation of antibacterial, antipyretic effects
- strengthening of blood vessels
- lowering the blood clotting threshold
- stimulating the human immune system
- active stimulation of the functioning of the pancreas, gallbladder, stomach.
This variety is able to please the gardener with a good generous harvest.
Disadvantages and Benefits
Cherry variety Malyshka has the following advantages:
- stable, good yield
- compact parameters
- excellent winter hardiness
- early ripening
- unpretentious, simple care
- the root system does not touch groundwater
- gorgeous taste, commercial qualities
- convenient transportability
- quick collection of fruits
- growth is noticeably accelerated.
As for the shortcomings, there are practically none. The main disadvantages are self-infertility, weak attachment of the drupe with a peduncle. In case of strong wind, the fruits will easily fall to the ground. Given the fact that Malyshka is a self-fertile variety, it is important to select good cross-pollinators. It is advisable to use the following varieties:
- Nord Star
Correct planting in soil
It is best to plant the tree in early spring when the snow melts. This way, you will allow the roots to firmly harden and the tree will be able to survive the first winter successfully.
A number of preparatory work should be carried out:
- Finding the perfect place. The proposed hybrid loves sunlit terrain. The nearest tree should be 2.5 meters away. It is undesirable to choose a place with a draft, but you cannot leave the tree without ventilation.
- Working with soil. The hybrid is not too picky about the soil, but the sandy loam type is best suited. This is due to the fact that it has excellent water and air permeability. In the case of loamy soil, combine it with sand. The land is being prepared in the fall, so you need to dig up the site, add phosphorus and potassium, organic fertilizers.
- Seedling selection. Such a task must be taken seriously. If the root system is damaged, dry or rotten, then the seedling will not take root. If the planting material is of good quality, the branches will bend perfectly, the appearance will be fresh.
Step-by-step algorithm for planting a baby seedling:
- prepare the planting hole a week before the procedure, its depth is 50 centimeters, and its diameter is 60 cm
- on one side of the pit place a fertile layer of soil, on the other - a subsoil
- leave at least 2 meters of free space between seedlings
- check the condition, quality of the root system of the tree. In case of rot, the roots can be cut with a pruner. If the roots are too dry, the seedling is soaked for six hours in water.
- certain fertilizers are added to the planting pit (10 kg of humus, 500 grams of wood ash, 200 grams of phosphorus)
- in the center of the pit you need to drive a one and a half meter stake
- then the seedling is placed in the hole
- sprinkle the root system with a subsoil layer, then fertile, lightly tamp the surface.
Thanks to competent fertilization, the next fertilization is carried out two years later.
The specifics of plant care
This hybrid is considered drought tolerant, so constant, regular watering is not required. If increased aridity prevails in the region, the plant needs watering, especially in the process of ripening, the formation of fruits.
As for feeding, it is applied in the first year of fruiting. Spring fertilizers must contain nitrogen. During the growing season, feeding is carried out in the following proportions:
- 12 liters of water
- 15 grams of urea
- 20 g of potassium chloride
- 30 grams of superphosphates.
In the autumn, potassium and phosphorus must be added to the soil so that wintering goes well. Every fifth autumn, lime is added to the soil. In addition, soil mulching, pruning, pest and disease control are carried out.
The presented hybrid is extremely popular, as it is distinguished by many positive qualities, medicinal properties, a good harvest, and unpretentious care.
Description of cherry variety: Baby Link to main publication
Description and characteristics of the variety
- This is a hybrid variety.
- Refers to early ripening varieties, since ripe fruits can be harvested 90-100 days after germination.
- Determinate, bushes limit their growth on their own when forming the last brush. In open ground, the height does not exceed 80 cm.In a greenhouse, bushes can stretch up to 1-1.5 meters.
- Not a standard one.
- Recommended for cultivation in greenhouses, hotbeds, under the film, as well as in the open field.
- Bushes of the Alsou variety have a weak trunk, especially when grown in greenhouse conditions, therefore, they require mandatory tying to a support.
- For a higher yield, it is better to form in 2-3 stems.
- Medium-sized green leaves.
- The inflorescences of the articulation on the stalks are simple. Ovaries appear every 2 leaves.
- Differs in abundant fruiting.
- It has a high immunity to diseases that most often affect this culture.
- Yield high. From 1 sq. meters of planting get 7-9 kg of ripe tomatoes.
Preparations for planting cherries begin well in advance. If planting is planned in the spring, it is better to prepare the planting holes in the fall. In any case, the finished planting pit should stand for at least a few weeks. This is necessary for the soil to restore its structure, microflora, and settle.
Video on how to plant a young tree correctly
It is believed that in the southern regions of the country, cherries are best planted in autumn until mid-October. It will take root before the cold weather, and in the spring it will quickly grow. In the north, it's the other way around. When planting in spring, the trees will completely take root by autumn and grow ripe wood, which is necessary for successful wintering and subsequent growth. Spring planting is carried out before bud break. You can transplant cherries from pots, closed containers, or with a clod of earth in the summer.
Selection and preparation of the landing site
Cherries are very sensitive to light, so you should choose a place where they will not be shaded by buildings or tall trees throughout the day. It will grow beautifully even with partial shading, but the twigs will begin to stretch towards the sun and form fruit buds only in the illuminated areas of the shoots, mainly at the ends. Such trees bear little fruit.
The next requirement concerns the depth of groundwater. If it is less than two meters to them, then you can try to plant a tree on a loose mound.
The ideal pH value for cherries is 6. On acidic soil, it withers rather than grows, so if necessary, you should adjust the acidity of the soil with lime, gypsum or dolomite flour.
In cherry neighbors, you can choose raspberries, strawberries or grapes, but apples and pears are not suitable. These trees oppress each other.
The plot intended for cherries is dug up and weeds, especially perennial ones, are removed. Align so that water does not stagnate in the recesses and mark the pits. Since Baby's growth is small, the distance between plants can be no more than 3 meters. Planning should include a site for planting pollinator varieties.
A sunny place is allocated for cherries.
Preparation of planting holes
The size of the planting pits depends on the soil on the site. If the soil is loose, it will be enough to dig a hole 50 cm deep and 60 cm in diameter. If the ground is dense, poorly permeable to water, the depth should be 60 cm, and the diameter 80 cm.
The soil to be removed is laid out on two sides. The upper, fertile layer is about the size of a shovel's bayonet on one side, the bottom one on the other. After that, the top layer of soil is mixed with humus or compost in a one-to-one ratio with the addition of half a liter of ash and returned to the pit. Pour 2 buckets of water there to seal. The pit is ready. You should leave it for a while.
A planting pit for spring planting is prepared in the fall
Step-by-step planting process
- Remove the top layer of soil from the pit so that the root collar of the seedling is flush with the soil surface.
- In the center, form a mound and place a seedling on it, straightening the roots on the sides. They should fit freely without kinking or twisting.
- Install the landing peg.
- Fill the roots with small portions of earth, making sure that there are no voids under them.
- Pour half a bucket of water into the hole to compact the soil, and then continue filling. If the enriched soil is not enough, the top layer can be put the earth from the bottom of the pit.
- Lightly compact the soil around the stem, tie it to a planting peg and form a watering circle.
- Pour with two buckets of water and when the water is absorbed, mulch the soil.
The root collar should be flush with the surface
Selection of seedlings
When choosing seedlings, you first need to determine the place of purchase in order to purchase exactly the variety that is announced. It is better to buy planting material from nurseries or specialized stores. It is desirable to purchase annual seedlings, they take root better. Their growth does not exceed 1 meter, the number of lateral branches is 8-10, the length of the roots is 25 cm. The root and trunk should not have spots, growths, thickenings, scratches, broken branches.
Be sure to inspect the vaccination site. It should be 5–15 cm above the root collar. At this point, the stem is slightly curved. You should also slightly bend the twigs and roots. In a good seedling, they are elastic to the touch and easily, without crunching, bend into a ring. If they crunch or bend with effort, the seedlings do not need to be purchased, they are most likely overdried.
Cherry Baby for normal fruiting requires additional pollinators, so when buying, you should definitely find out about the availability of suitable varieties and purchase them too.
Advantages and disadvantages
Samara tomatoes have the following advantages:
- The fruits ripen early.
- Bear fruit for a long time.
- They have a beautiful appearance, therefore they are suitable for industrial cultivation.
- The application is universal.
- Good yield.
- Resistant to nightshade diseases.
- Tomatoes do not crack.
The disadvantages include the following:
- Suitable for cultivation exclusively in a greenhouse or under a film.
- It is necessary to tie the stems to the support.
Diseases, pests and control of them
The Saratov baby has an average resistance to such a common disease as coccomycosis. In addition, you need to beware of other diseases, as well as harmful insects.
Table: cherry diseases and how to protect against them
Diseases of cherries in the photoFruits affected by moniliosis are covered with gray spore cushions. Spotting affects leaves and shoots Coccomycosis is a common fungal disease of stone fruits.
Table: cherry pests and control
Cherry pests in the photoAphids are a common and very dangerous pest Weevils infect buds and flowers Shoot moth caterpillars actively eat leaves, buds, ovaries
Impressions and reviews about Laura grapes can be left in the comments, after checking they are published on the site.
I have 10 bushes of Laura (it is now also called Flora, under this name the grapes are entered in the state register of Ukraine). Great variety! Delicious berries, beautiful large clusters, medium frost resistance (I don't cover - it hibernates well), very early ripening. There is only one drawback - the functionally female type of flower. We have to plant nearby bushes with a bisexual type of flower. I have Arcadia planted.
I grow it for sale. It sells well, the variety is known on the market. Delicious, beautiful berries. The illness is average, I carry out several treatments for mildew with Bordeaux liquid, sometimes for mildew - with colloidal sulfur. There is enough prevention - the grapes hardly get sick. It hibernates well, but I cover it - in our zone there is a covering culture for such varieties.
A good table variety, one of the best among white table varieties. Quite good resistance to diseases, there are enough preventive treatments with contact drugs. Wasps attack, love him very much. For protection from a mosquito net I sewed protective covers, I will put on the bunches during the ripening period.
Alexey Nikolaevich, Krasnodar