DIY garden pitch - high-quality protection for trees
Garden pitch is necessary for any gardener, but it is not always at hand. There are many recipes that make it easy to cook the much-needed thing yourself.
Why do you need a garden pitch and what components are included in its composition
Garden var, or putty, is an oil-resin composition used to heal wounds on tree trunks. The use of var protects the damaged areas of the bark from infection.
Despite the abundance of ready-made garden varieties, some gardeners prefer to prepare the putty on their own. As a rule, the main components of almost any garden varnish are rosin, turpentine, resin, fat. Some gardeners believe that clay is suitable instead of var.
Clay instead of var - video
Recipes for making garden brew at home
There are a great many recipes for garden putty, many of them are time-tested, as they have been known since the 19th century.
Recipe number 1
One of the simplest formulations includes lard, rosin and natural wax, taken in a ratio of 1: 4: 1. Cooking sequence:
- Grind the rosin.
- Melt lard and add rosin and wax there. Boil for 20 minutes.
- Cool the var, knead with your hands and wrap in a sheet of oiled paper.
If you follow simple rules, you can quickly get a garden putty.
Recipe number 2
Requires wax (can be replaced with paraffin), any animal fat, rosin in a 1: 1: 1 ratio, to which linseed oil (one fourth part) and a little zinc oxide are added.
The main components of the var (recipe number 2) - photo gallery
- Fat and wax are mixed and melted in a water bath, gradually adding rosin and stirring.
- Flaxseed oil is poured in.
- Add 15-25% of the total zinc oxide. The increase in the amount of zinc oxide reduces the plasticity of the var.
- When cooling down, the mixture is stirred vigorously and 10% alcohol is added (if desired). This will ensure the cold resistance of the var.
Cooking garden varnish number 2 - video
Recipe number 3
- 1 kg of resin
- 200 g beeswax
- 50 g flaxseed oil
- 100 g of charcoal.
- Melt the wax and resin.
- Grind and sift the coal.
- While stirring, add linseed oil and charcoal to the base.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, remove from heat and refrigerate.
- Fold the prepared mixture into a jar and close.
Before use, the putty needs to be slightly warmed up to soften.
1 - melt the wax; 2 - add resin; 3 - grind and sift the coal, add to the base; 4 - add linseed oil; 5 - boil the mixture and cool
Recipe number 4
This recipe is very simple and works well for large-area wounds. The mixture contains only 2 components - ash and nigrol in a ratio of 3: 7. The nigrol should be heated and, while stirring, add the ash until the mixture reaches the consistency of thick sour cream.
Ash is mixed into a heated nigrol
Recipe number 5
This simple composition is called "cold var". It contains wood resin (410 g) and linseed oil (2 tablespoons). To prepare the var, the resin is melted and, without ceasing to stir, the oil is poured in. A characteristic feature of the composition is that it always remains semi-liquid and can be used in any weather.
Recipe number 6
This old mixture is known as "waterproof ointment" and is the prototype of the modern wara.
- 205 g yellow wax
- 205 g of boot var,
- 100 g turpentine (resin),
- 50 g of salt.
- Put all the components in a cast iron and heat over low heat until they are liquid.
- Collect and remove dirt from above.
- Cool the composition and roll medium-diameter sausages with wet palms.
- Wrap the finished product in oiled paper and store.
The advantages of this ointment are that it does not get wet in the rain, it perfectly tolerates winter cold (does not crack), and it can be easily removed during spring warming.
From my own experience, I can say that very quickly and easily garden putty can be prepared from equal parts of resin and liquid mullein. The resin is preliminarily melted, then the components are thoroughly mixed. The binder can be dog or cat hair, crushed dry leaves or grass. Such a mixture is prepared in 15 minutes and perfectly replaces the purchased var.
Self-made var, subject to all the rules, is not inferior in quality to purchased compositions. Using readily available components, you can guarantee to protect your trees from diseases.
[Votes: 2 Average: 5]
How to use a garden pitch?
If you have damaged a tree or shrub and do not know how you can quickly cover the wound, then it's time to find out about such a mixture as garden var. It will help to deal with minor scratches and deep damage and heal the plant.
Garden var is a fairly well-known remedy among gardeners. It is used to treat cuts and heal tree wounds. You can make a garden var with your own hands, or you can buy a ready-made mixture. Let's take a closer look at this substance and find out how to properly use it in the garden.
After hardening, the garden pitch resembles a thick, homogeneous mass.
Advantages and disadvantages
The stem and trunk of the tree are a support, an intermediary between the root system and the crown.
Mechanical injuries, burns, the consequences of pruning, damage by rodents weaken the conducting functions, often cause a decrease in yield, disease and death of a perennial plant.
Advantages of a garden varnish for processing trees:
- prevents evaporation of moisture in the wound area, sunburn or frostbite
- helps to heal injuries, cracks caused by temperature changes
- disinfects tissue at the site of damage, cut, kills pathogens
- provides quick swimming of the wound and the formation of a new bark.
The disadvantages of gardening putty appear in specific conditions. Sealing damage that is too large does not always lead to the desired result. The wood gets wet and rots, the wood gets sick. Substances in the composition of garden varnish change properties at high and low temperatures. As a result, the putty melts in hot summer and cracks in winter.
How to cook a garden pitch?
There is a controversial opinion about which garden variety is better to use - purchased in a store or made by hand. In the first case, thanks to modern types of packaging, it can be stored longer, in the second, it is relatively cheap compared to the purchased analogue.
If you decide to purchase a garden pitch, it is better to opt for a transparent yellow mass. The dark compound is usually used in the manufacture of footwear.
Garden var, as a rule, includes three main components - beeswax, resin and fat. In this case, wax can be replaced with paraffin, resin - with rosin, fat - with oil or even lard.
There are several fairly common universal garden var recipes. And experienced summer residents can easily make a mixture of the consistency they need, combining the necessary components in a certain proportion.
Garden var: application and features
Since when preparing medicinal compositions at home it is impossible to find paper with the inscription: "Garden Var. Instructions for use", we decided to talk about the peculiarities of applying the mixture to damaged trees. They involve the following actions:
- only process healthy wood... All damaged, dead, rotted or infected parts of the tree should be removed before applying the composition.
- clean the edges and base of the wound... They must be absolutely smooth, without bumps and outgrowths.
- rinse wood wounds with running water and when applying the composition, use clean tools
- damaged areas should be treatedlate spring - early summer... Of course, if the damage occurred at a different time, it is also treated with garden varnish. But in the spring, the applied composition must be renewed.
- if you are cleaning the hollows of a tree, then do not forget to treat them with a 5% solution of copper sulfate... The working tool and hands are also treated with an alcohol solution.
- with parallel treatment of a damaged tree from cytosporosis or nectria, damaged areas should be treated with a 2% solution of copper sulfate or 5% solution of ferrous sulfate.
Before applying garden varnish, the edges and base of the tree wound must be cleaned and processed.
What does a garden pitch give?
Garden varnish applied to scratches or wounds of a tree protects against the penetration of fungi, dangerous microbes, harmful insects into the open area. It allows you to keep an open wound healthy, promotes the speedy healing of cuts, scratches and places damaged by rodents.
What are the advantages of a garden varnish?
- Its preparation is simple, and simple, and easily applied to various parts of shrubs and trees.
- Var after application hardens and does not stain hands and clothes.
- The composition of the product protects the wounds from drying out and promotes their quickest healing.
But the disadvantages include the following:
- the product is better suited for use in warm weather and becomes too thick at low temperatures, which makes it difficult to use
- large wounds treated with garden varnish dry out for a long time, which can provoke their rotting at the site of damage
- an inexpensive product prepared with the use of chemical components in hot weather can cause burns, scratches, wounds.
We prepare the garden pitch ourselves. Several variants
The main task when processing trees with garden pitch is to maintain their health and restore the bark as quickly as possible, without which a healthy tree simply cannot be imagined. Before applying var, the trunk of any tree, where it is damaged, must be carefully processed. It is best to do this with a metal brush, or you can pick up a scraper instead. Only after such a rather tough stripping can the garden pitch itself be applied.
The basis of the first version of the garden var is solid oil. You will need to take 250 gr. In addition to it, you will also need wax (200 g) and natural pine resin. It only needs 50 grams, I think it will not be difficult for you to find such an amount of resin in the forest. All of these components will first need to be heated well separately. The main thing here is that each of these components is completely dissolved. Only after that will they need to be mixed together. You can mix them immediately in a glass jar, it will then be convenient to store such a var in it.
This version of the garden varnish may well turn out to be quite viscous. If you got it like this, then you can warm it up using a water bath, and only then add vegetable oil there. The oil does not have to be crystal clear. For dilution of such a varnish, the remains of such oil, even with sediment, are suitable. Another option is when Var turned out to be watery. This, too, can be easily tweaked. You can add density to it with the help of sifted ash, which we simply add to it and there we mix it with its main composition.
Such a homemade garden pitch can already be applied to the wound. After application, it will need to be rubbed evenly over its entire surface. When applied, wounds on a tree (or on a shrub) heal rather quickly and the trees then recover.
If the cuts or wounds on the tree are very small, then you can do without garden varnish in this case, but simply use brilliant green or potassium permanganate for treatment. The most convenient option in this case is to use the brilliant green in the form of a pencil (this one is also on sale in the same pharmacies). It is very convenient for her to do this.
The version of the garden var, which I have given you, is far from the only one. In fact, there are quite a few of them. But, when preparing any var, you must be careful, because the ingredients almost always have to be heated, and many of these ingredients can easily catch fire, especially alcohol.
Rosin-based garden var recipe
Rosin, which is used by radio amateurs, is a good base for garden var. In principle, this is still the same pine resin, only in the form of a solid one. Rosin is used to add stickiness to the varnish, but the wax, as part of the garden varnish, holds all its ingredients together and does not allow it to quickly drain from the treated surfaces. These two substances almost always form the basis of the var, and others are already added to them, which are simply at the moment at hand (of course, within reasonable limits).
You can use fat, which will make the composition not so thick and dense. The proportions here are not difficult to remember. Rosin (we take it 200 gr), plus to it, beeswax is twice as much, that is, 400 gr, and mutton fat is already added to them, also 200 gr.
Again, wax, as well as rosin, will first need to be melted in different containers, and only then mixed. After mixing these two components, fat is added, and then, the ready-made pitch is slowly poured into cold water in a small stream. When it hardens in water, it will be easy to get it out of there and form balls out of it. Further, you can already use such a var for processing any trees in your garden. If you did not use up such a putty right away, then you can put it in storage in a jar and close it tightly with a lid there. If you leave it in the open air, then this garden putty will harden quickly enough for you.
If you could not find rosin, then again you can replace it with the same pine resin. The composition you get with such a replacement is almost the same.
Helpful advice for using a home garden varnish
Experts who are engaged in gardening advise adding a heteroauxin tablet to such a homemade garden varnish (you need to grind it). This must be done before it solidifies. Such a tablet is well able to stimulate plant growth. It is necessary to calculate the addition of such a pill based on 1 kilogram of mass, so you can significantly speed up the healing process of wounds and cuts on a tree.
Another tip. If you did not manage to find mutton fat for making var, then it can be easily replaced with pork fat (of course, not flaky, but fresh). Then the proportions here will change slightly. Rosin still take the same 200 grams, wax is already less - 100 grams, and lard 50 grams.
First, you will need to heat the lard, and only then add the other two components to it. Now we boil all the ingredients for 20 minutes. We cool the resulting composition (until the hand can tolerate it), and knead it well with our hands so that this var does not dry out. After such softening, we already wrap it in well-oiled paper. It can already be stored in it for quite a long time (not even 1 month) until you need it.
But in this video you will be offered another option for making a garden varnish with your own hands. Here, in addition to rosin and wax, one more component is added. We look.
DIY garden var
There are many recipes for making medicinal putty for trees at home. Let's consider some of them.
You should take 4 parts beeswax and 1 part linseed oil and rosin and add 2 tbsp. l. finely crushed charcoal. Coal here plays the role of an absorbent that absorbs harmful substances. Beeswax can be obtained by melting old honeycombs. And buy rosin in hardware stores.
For cooking, you must first melt the wax, pour in the rosin, heating the mixture over low heat, avoiding boiling. Now add linseed oil, and stir constantly so that there is a homogeneous composition. Remove from heat, add charcoal and mix well. Pour the composition into containers.
Zhukovsky's garden var
Take rosin, unsalted fat and beeswax in equal parts, melt each component separately and then pour into one container, stirring thoroughly, and let stand. Then pour the composition into a bowl with cold water. When the mass curdles, remove it from the water and roll it into a ball, store it in oiled paper. Such a homemade remedy is used in warm weather. Wounds and injuries treated with the agent are covered with a cloth from bees and other insects. Read how to prune apple trees
Another beeswax recipe
Prepare internal fat, beeswax and rosin in a 1: 2: 4 ratio. Melt the wax and add chopped rosin and fat and boil for 30 minutes, cool and knead in a soft state until smooth.
Garden var can be prepared using beeswax, rosin and unsalted lard in a 1: 4: 1 ratio.
- Take rosin (3 hours), mineral or vegetable oil (2 hours) and paraffin (6 hours). First melt the paraffin, add chopped rosin and, bringing to a boil, pour in the oil. All are boiled for 15-30 minutes, cooled, brought to a homogeneous state, laid out in a resealable container.
- Similarly, another composition is prepared, prepared in equal proportions from paraffin, gear oil or natural drying oil and rosin.
DIY garden var
Cold-resistant garden var
Raevsky's recipe... Take 500 g of tree resin, 2 tbsp. l. linseed oil and 60 ml of rubbing alcohol. Heat the resin over low heat, stirring, carefully add alcohol and oil, store in a metal container when cooling.
Gaug's recipe... Take 1 tsp. baking soda, 400 g of pine resin, 60 ml of rubbing alcohol, 4 g of gum. First, melt the resin and pour in the alcohol. The gum and soda are dissolved in water and then poured into the resin, mixed thoroughly and cooled. The drug is applied to the wounds with a brush.
The sequence of applying home formulations
- First, the trees are cleaned of diseased and dead tissue, the composition is applied to healthy clean wood.
- The edges of the wound are pre-cleaned from growths, bulges until they become smooth and washed with running water. The entire instrument must also be clean.
- The hollow on the tree should be cleaned, treated with a solution of copper sulfate (5%). Disinfect tools and hands with alcohol.
- Damaged parts, cuts when pruning shrubs and trees should be treated with pitch in late spring or early summer. Treat new wounds and scratches immediately. Every spring, the home composition is updated.
If there is no garden varnish, and the tree needs an ambulance, what can be used?
Putty earth... You inadvertently walked with a saw or broke the escape. You need to take the earth and coat the damage and bandage it with a film or cloth. Later, process with var.
Clay talker... To prepare it, mix a little clay, mullein, straw and 1-2 tbsp. l. copper sulfate to the consistency of sour cream and apply an even layer to the wound.
Mullein... They take part of a mullein, 2 hours of clay or finely chopped hay, prepare a mixture in the form of thick sour cream and lubricate cracks, hollows and other damage to the tree.
Polyethylene bandage... It protects the damage from drying out and from harmful pathogens. The wound needs to be tightly bandaged with a plastic bag, and later treated with a healing compound.
So we figured it out how to cook garden var at home and provide first aid to trees and shrubs, which will surely thank you with lush flowering and a rich harvest of berries and fruits.
If you find an error, please select a piece of text and press Ctrl + Enter.