Correct propagation of strawberries with a mustache step by step
Strawberries are a delicious dessert and quite a profitable business for modern farmers. Therefore, many are trying to grow it on their site and wonder if it is possible to propagate strawberries with a mustache. Reproduction is possible.
Proper preparation and pruning of strawberry seedlings for propagation
In the first year, the mustache is removed from each bush, and when the fruits ripen, strong bushes are chosen, which are distinguished by large berries. They are marked to be used for strawberry propagation with whiskers.
Such bushes are called "uterine". The next year, berries are not allowed to appear on the mother bushes. For this remove all buds before flowering.
The best time to transplant is spring and early summer. Within a month, a mustache will appear on the uterine bushes, on which rosettes will be tied. The large rosettes next to the mother bush have branched roots and are used to propagate seedlings and to propagate strawberries.
The rest of the mustache is not used for further reproduction, therefore cut with sharp scissorsby making an oblique cut. It is often necessary to remove the mustache several times per season.
You can not separate the mustache with a strong rosette from the mother bush.
Mustache breeding methods
Breeding options for strawberries:
- With the use of cups (pots).
- Landing on the beds.
How to propagate in pots
It is necessary:
- Prepare small cups (pots). Fill with fertilizers.
- Plant the outlet in a pot. Seedlings are left on the site, 1/3 of the height buried in the soil.
- The shoot is watered daily. Make sure that no puddles appear.
How to breed in the beds
- Prepare the soil. Put peat and sawdust on the garden bed - fertilizer for strawberries.
- Pin the sockets to the ground, buried in plowed soil. In this case, the tail will be visible in the soil, and the rosette will be above the ground.
- Water and monitor like other seedlings.
The right time to trim and transplant a mustache
A couple of weeks before planting, the mustache is cut, connecting the outlet to the uterine bush. Young plants will start feeding on their own roots. You need to separate the outlet from the main bush on time otherwise the yield decreases.
Infected and damaged leaves are also cut off. If a young plant withers, it is shaded and watered to feed on its own.
Plants are transplanted into open ground after they take root... With early planting, the plants will get stronger for the winter, and the root system will become branched and powerful, which will allow them to overwinter.
Sometimes, by the middle of summer in June, the required number of mustache for transplantation does not grow. Then the shoots are harvested for propagation throughout the season. But do not forget that it is better to take such a mustache and transplant it to a permanent place in early autumn. no later than Septemberas the bushes planted later will not survive the winter.
How to cut correctly
- The mustache is trimmed in dry, sunny weather... It is advisable to prune in the morning or evening in spring or summer.
- For cutting, use garden sharp scissors or a small pruner, cut at a distance 10 centimeters from the mother bush.
What mistakes are made
- Circumcision is carried out in a rainy spring or in hot sunny times. In hot weather, plants are susceptible to disease. In wet weather, the risk of fungal and bacterial infections entering the cut increases.
- Short cut off the mustache. Leads to dryness.
- Tear off mustache. Together with the tendril, you can completely remove the plant or partially break off the delicate roots.
Cropped mustache planting rules
Breeding rules step by step:
- The bed should be located on a flat area, it is possible that there is a slight slope facing south-west. There should be no trees nearby. Strawberry is a light-loving plant, with a small amount of sunlight, the berries will be small and unsweetened.
- Use soil containing a lot of sand... Clay soil will create waterlogging, which will lead to root rot.
- Remove the weeds together with the rhizome before planting. If the area is not cleaned, it will affect the quality of strawberry growth and yield.
- Dig the earth to the depth 25 centimeters
- It is necessary to plant bushes on a garden bed in wet weather.
- The width of the bed is approximately 1 meter.
Use a one-line or two-line landing method:
- One line - the lines (beds) are at a distance of 60-80 centimeters from each other, and the bushes in the garden are at a distance of 15-20 centimeters.
- Two-line - the distance between the beds is 60-80 centimeters, and the gap between the plants is 20-40 centimeters.
- Water the soil before and after planting strawberries. The soil should always be moist.
- Plant in one row no more than 2 varieties of strawberries.
- Place seedlings of several varieties in rows - -1-3 rows of each variety.
When planting seedlings, the "heart" should be at ground level. If it is located lower, the plant will begin to rot, higher - it will dry out or freeze.
To understand if the strawberry bush is planted correctly, you need to pull a little... When properly planted, the plant will not be pulled out.
- When planting seedlings, use about 0.5-0.7 liters of water per seedling... Further, within two weeks, the seedlings are irrigated 2-3 times a day, after which watering is reduced - after 1-2 days. Irrigation is carried out along the furrows.
- Loosening is necessary. Allows moisture to be better retained in the ground and promotes aeration of the root system, prevents crusting on the ground. Hard ground is first watered abundantly, and only then loosened. When loosening, you can spud the seedlings a little.
- 3-4 weeks after planting strawberries, an inspection of the seedlings is necessary. If dead or wilted plants are found, their removed and replaced with new ones.
- Weed regularly.
- For winter insulate the landing... Pine needles are used, it allows air to pass through well and protects from frost.
Growing strawberries is not a difficult process, the main thing is to adhere to the basic rules. You need to choose the right mother bushes, prepare the seedlings, trim the mustache in a timely manner, prepare the soil well, remove and remove weeds, feed and follow the instructions.
Provide constant care for both outlets and seedlings throughout the summer season. And then it will be possible to achieve good fruiting and collect a rich harvest.
Propagation of strawberries with a mustache
It is better to root strawberry sockets immediately in seedling pots. In July, seedlings with a lump of earth are transplanted to a permanent place. This method will allow the plants to root well by winter, prevent them from problems associated with bulging roots, and the strawberries will quickly gain strength next season.
Breeding technology for garden strawberries with a mustache
Propagation of strawberries with a mustache is the most popular and easiest way to grow berry bushes.
- After the berry harvest, when the growth of the strawberry whiskers is activated, the soil in the beds is weeded, loosened and watered.
- The mustache with the formed rosettes of leaves is straightened, the rosettes themselves are slightly deepened into the ground and sprinkled with earth.
- In early September, rooted sockets are dug up and planted in a new place.
The very first strawberry rosettes from the mother bush are considered the most powerful for reproduction, therefore, only them are left to obtain planting material, and the rest are cut off.
Breeding strawberries with a mustache is possible in another way..
After the end of fruiting, all whiskers with rosettes formed on them are removed from the mother bush.
- Separated sockets are planted on a separate bed as follows: the distance between the bushes should be at least 15 cm, on those outlets that have already formed roots, leave 4 leaves, the roots are shortened to 5 cm, and on those outlets that have no roots appeared - 2 sheets each.
- For beds with such seedlings, special care is needed, young bushes need daily watering, regular weeding and loosening of the soil, shelter from the scorching sun.
- At the end of summer, strong and rooted strawberry bushes are planted in a permanent bed.
Mustache strawberry propagation technology
The strawberry breeding technology, although simple, lasts the whole season. If we consider that for the selection of mother bushes it is necessary to know their yield in the previous year, it turns out that the whole technology takes a whole year. Here's a step-by-step plan for breeding a strawberry with a mustache.
- Choose the most productive bush
- Remove all peduncles
- Choose the strongest mustache
- Wait for the formation of the root system on the outlets
- Separate the mustache from the main plant
- Transplant the outlet to the desired location
It's simple, no special knowledge and skills are required. Follow the instructions step by step and get the desired result. Let's take a closer look at each step.
Suitable time for breeding
The desired varieties are propagated in the summer. The best time to start this is May and June, when strawberries start to give off a mustache. It is immediately necessary to decide whether it will be necessary to plant the layers from the mother plant. If new bushes are transplanted, then it is better to start the selection and formation of the whiskers already in May, so they can grow to the optimal size and develop the root system well.
Usually new bushes are ready for transplanting in July. They have 4-5 large leaves and roots from 5 centimeters long. If the plants are still not large and strong enough, then you should not rush, you can wait another month.
In autumn, it is time to plant young plants. You can start work in August. All mustaches are transplanted no later than the end of September, as they need to take root in a new place. In addition, it will take 1-2 weeks for the plant to get used to the new place. At this time, it stops growing and experiences some stress. For the winter, a fresh planting is covered with spruce mulch or a layer of black spunbond.
Relocating an outlet
If you do not want to fool your head with seeds and mustaches, then the only correct option is to transfer ready-made sockets from the mother plant. How to do it? Easy: cut off the first-order socket and immediately (with soil around it) transfer it to a new place, which must first be fertilized and filled with water. Never shake all the ground off the dug socket - in just a few minutes, the tips will disappear, and the transplant may end in failure.
It is best to take a garden tool (shovel, pitchfork) and dig up half a kilogram of earth along with the planting material. Your garden will look a little ugly, but everything will be taken in literally 2 days. If the bush withers a little the first day or two, then there is nothing to worry about - this is a normal process, it leaves 2-3 days after operations and begins to raise leaves.
You also need to pay attention to the health of the bush. You can not plant a plant that is sick with fungal diseases - they will be carried along with the children. You will no longer receive the planned harvest. Choose only healthy bushes with large berries and good yields - children, in general, do not differ at all from the main plant, give the same number of berries, and have the same resistance to diseases.
Tips and tricks from gardeners
To grow garden strawberries with a high level of fruiting, it is necessary to properly care for a young bush. Proper cultivation includes several mandatory points:
- The first 10 days, strawberries are recommended to be watered every 2-3 days, in small portions with warm water, trying not to fall on young leaves. Watering is best done in the early morning or late evening.
- After watering, it is necessary to loosen the soil under the seedling for improved access of the roots to oxygen.
- For better moisture retention, mulching is carried out. Straw, agrofibre, dried humus are suitable as a mulching layer.
- The soil under the strawberry bush is regularly rid of weeds and pests and insects are treated. A solution of water with wood ash is suitable as a prophylactic agent. An excellent chemical is Karbofos, copper oxychloride or boric liquid.
- Young strawberries need regular feeding. In autumn, phosphate-potassium fertilizers are used. In the spring, nitrogen fertilizers are applied under the root to stimulate growth.
Further care is to prepare the plant for winter. Mulch for the winter is removed from under the plant so that the bush does not become infected and sick during the winter. In November, a layer of peat, sawdust and needles is laid under the bush. The layer should be at least 5 cm in order to provide the required amount of heat. It is important to cover only the roots, and not cover the entire bush. To prevent rodents from damaging the roots of the plant, naphthalene or peat soaked in creolin is placed next to the strawberry beds.
Strawberry bushes properly prepared for winter
Growing strawberries with a mustache is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. If everything is done correctly and consistently, the strawberries will grow quickly. A well-chosen planting time, neat transplantation, proper care, in the end, will allow the gardener to harvest a rich strawberry crop. After the snow melts, it is necessary to remove the spruce branches, get rid of the pests, if they do appear, loosen the soil and remove the deformed sheets. Having applied strength in the fall, in the spring they get strawberry bushes ready for fruiting.