Omnivorous bear: how to protect crops from pests
This is not to say that every gardener has come across bears, but this is a fairly common problem. The pest causes significant damage to plantings by eating seeds, gnawing at the roots of cultivated plants and damaging ripening root crops. In the fight against bears, folk remedies give a good effect, there are also specialized chemicals.
General information about the pest
Medvedka ordinary (aka cabbage or "earth crayfish") looks creepy. It is a large (5–8 cm long, occasionally 12–15 cm) insect with powerful front legs and a strong shell. The pest spends most of its life in the soil, but at the same time it runs fast, swims and flies well. The only thing that pleases is that the insect is physically unable to bite.
Pests are most active in May-June, during which they multiply.
The bear looks scary, especially out of habit, but her mouth apparatus is simply not adapted to bite a person
Digging tunnels, the bear does not understand the road. She destroys or damages everything that gets in the way, feeding along the way. In the garden, her diet includes any seeds, roots of cultivated plants (namely cultivated ones, the pest does not touch weeds), roots. The insect especially likes potatoes, carrots, beets.
Potatoes damaged by a bear quickly rot in the ground, and the dug tubers lose their shelf life and transportability
The most obvious signs of the presence of a bear on the site:
- wilting of plants for no obvious reason (due to damage to the roots);
- multiple deep holes in the ground with a diameter of 1–1.5 cm;
- the presence of "paths" (as if underground tunnels), especially clearly visible on wet soil and mounds of the earth, rolled up "lumps".
Effective folk remedies against the bear
Folk remedies against the bear have been tested by more than one generation of gardeners and have proven their effectiveness in most cases. Nevertheless, a situation is possible when it is on your site that this or that method does not give the desired result. Here it remains only to experimentally look for a more suitable option:
- Soap solution. Beat 25-30 g of fine shavings in a bucket of water. Dig up the "problem" area, pour the solution into all the found tunnels and nests. Lather is harmful to eggs and larvae. Mature individuals are forced to leave the nest; all that remains is to catch them. But if the female is not in the nest, soon a new clutch of eggs will appear in the same place. Therefore, the treatments are repeated every 7-10 days until the complete destruction of the pests.
For the treatment of plantings and soil, it is advisable to use green potash or laundry soap - there are no dyes, fragrances in the composition
- Onion peel. An infusion is being prepared - a three-liter can of raw materials is poured with 10 liters of hot water. You can use it after 5-6 days, having previously filtered and diluted with water 1: 5. Any garden beds are watered with infusion every 3-5 days (depending on how often it rains). The bear does not like the pungent smell of onions, but it quickly disappears.
Many gardeners accumulate onion husks throughout the winter - it finds a variety of uses in the garden.
- Ammonia. A tablespoon is poured into a 10-liter bucket of water, the plants are watered at the root (200-300 ml each), making sure that the solution does not get on the leaves and stems. The procedure is carried out no more often than once every 15–20 days. Or you can spread out rags soaked in ammonia and sand soaked in it in the aisles. Against the bear, the remedy is quite effective, but the gardener will also have to endure the pungent smell. Kerosene, turpentine are used in a similar way; naphthalene balls are poured into shallow furrows around the perimeter of the garden.
Bears do not like harsh smells, but people will have to endure them too.
- Spices. Many plants with a characteristic aroma can scare off the bear, but this method does not always work. Coriander, garlic, parsley are planted in the aisles and along the perimeter of the garden. A similar effect is given by wormwood, marigolds, chrysanthemums. And you can add some fresh needles to the soil, dig in the leaves of alder, aspen, or stick in twigs.
Many herbs have a characteristic odor that can scare away the bear.
- Chicken droppings. The use of manure as fertilizer attracts the bear, but in the soil enriched with chicken dung, it cannot live. It is enough just to change the feeding. At the same time, do not forget that droppings, especially fresh ones, are a potent agent, if its concentration in the solution is exceeded or if additional fertilizing is abused, the roots of plants can be burned.
Store-bought chicken manure is less "caustic" than fresh, but you need to be careful with it.
- Vegetable oil (necessarily unrefined, ideally homemade). It is mixed with powdered eggshells. The resulting thick gruel is laid out in all holes and furrows for planting seeds, seedlings. Medvedka likes this "treat", but the insects tempted by him die due to damage to internal organs.
Vegetable oil with an "additive" is a very effective remedy against bears
Many summer residents have adapted to use cylinders from plastic bottles to save the roots of young plants.... First, during planting, such a fence is placed in the hole, then seedlings are placed inside it and all this is buried in soil, as in a normal planting. The bear moves horizontally in the soil and cannot reach the roots through the plastic.
Video: folk remedies effective in the fight against a bear
Traps for bear traps are widespread among gardeners (one for every 4–5 m²):
- Dig several holes up to 20 cm deep and arbitrary width on the site, water the bottom. Cover the top with a board, a piece of slate, roofing material, and so on. Bears love warmth and high humidity, so they gather under a "lid". Open the trap every day and destroy the trapped insects.
- Lay the same holes from the inside with plastic wrap, fill with semi-rotted manure, cover from above. When decomposing, manure gives the bears' favorite warmth, they willingly gather in traps for laying eggs or before hibernation. The contents of the trap are destroyed at the end of the mating season for bears or after the first frost.
- Dig cut plastic bottles, small glass jars into the soil, fill about a quarter with beer, kvass. Grease the edges with honey, long-drying glue or cover with gauze. Destroy insects attracted by the smell every 3-4 days.
Medvedki are very partial to the smell of beer, a trap filled with it will certainly attract their attention
The bear also has natural enemies. First of all, these are birds (starlings, crows, rooks), hedgehogs, moles. You can attract them to the site by placing several feeders. But no one guarantees that they will limit themselves to eating insects, and your harvest will not suffer.
Hedgehogs are useful in the fight not only against bears, these animals also destroy snakes
Video: how to get rid of a bear forever
Pest-Controlling Chemicals and Industrial Appliances
You need to work with any chemicals (even those that are positioned by the manufacturer as absolutely safe), not forgetting about personal protective equipment, strictly observing the instructions and consumption rates. Almost all drugs are classified as hazard class 3 (moderately hazardous substances). They are used for mass invasions of the bear or the ineffectiveness of folk remedies:
- Medvetox. A granular preparation based on diazinon, it has an attractive taste for the bear. One pellet is enough for the insect to die. The agent is poured into furrows 3-5 cm deep, the soil is leveled. The frequency of processing is every 10-15 days. The drug is harmless to plants, soil microorganisms, "unclaimed" granules gradually decompose.
- Trap. The smell of granules attracts the bear. They are mixed with manure and the traps described earlier are constructed. The content is changed every 2-3 weeks. The drug is dangerous for pets.
- Phenaxin-plus. It is used in the same way as Medvetox. But it has a longer period of validity - up to 20 days.
- Rembeck. Helps get rid of bears and ants. In the composition - boric acid, kerosene, sugar, sunflower oil, cereals. Introduced into holes and furrows before planting, valid for 10-14 days.
- Cuts. Effective against bear, beetle larvae, wireworm. The granules are laid in a well-moistened soil for 8-10 days after planting seeds or seedlings. They are valid for up to 20 days.
Medvetox is one of the most popular drugs against the bear
Video: Medvetoks and other means of fighting a bear
Ultrasonic repellents are also available. The signals they generate are not audible to humans, but they cause soil vibrations that are unpleasant for bears, moles, and shrews, forcing them to leave the territory. But the pests leave relatively close and can soon return if the device is turned off.
Not all gardeners trust such devices, their effectiveness today, judging by the reviews, is controversial.
Ultrasonic scarers work on solar or conventional batteries
You can do something like this yourself by sticking metal pins into the ground and placing plastic bottles or aluminum cans on top of them.
Bears in the garden are a serious problem. The fight should be started only when the first suspicious signs are noticed. Their mass invasion is a rather rare occurrence, therefore, folk remedies are usually sufficient to protect the crop. Chemicals in this case are "heavy artillery", the use of which is best avoided whenever possible.
How to get rid of a bear in the garden - drugs and methods of struggle
- Full photo
How to get rid of a bear in the garden
Methods of fighting against a bear
Effective drugs for bear
How to clear the garden from bears?
Medvedka is a rather dangerous and unpleasant neighbor for gardeners. As soon as it settles in the beds, all seedlings of agricultural plants begin to disappear. This parasite of agricultural crops is quite widespread in the temperate zone of our country. If a bear has settled on your site, then it is very problematic to bring it out. Let's consider the main ways to get rid of the site from this parasite.
How to get rid of a bear in the garden
A harmful insect, the bear, destroys crops in their dachas. She makes long moves in the ground and gnaws at the roots of vegetables, without touching the weeds. In a short time, the bear can damage the entire crop. Start fighting the pest, otherwise you will lose all the plants in the garden.
Protecting the borders of the garden from the invasion of the bear
The bear has a thick shell and you won't crush it just like that. Catching an insect is also difficult, it has wings and flies. The main thing in the fight against a pest is the digging of a land plot in early spring.
In the summer, systematically loosen the land, and in the fall, the land must be plowed. Plow before freezing to the depth of the bear's moves. Remove dry leaves in autumn, cut dry tree branches.
By these actions, you will destroy the holes of the bear in the soil, destroy their eggs and larvae in the ground.
Make a bird cherry or alder hedge. It will reliably protect the boundaries of the site from the pest. Plant calendula or marigolds along the edges of the beds - the insect does not tolerate the smell of these plants.
To block access to the bear in the greenhouse, dig a furrow along it. Pour ash, sand, eggshells and sawdust, previously moistened with kerosene, into the hole. Place ratchets along the garden.
Medvedki are afraid of noise and will leave your territory.
We get rid of the bear with the help of chemicals
Use different chemicals. For vegetables, this method is not very good, but you will destroy the pest. Chemicals come in powder and granules, the most effective of which are:
- "Thunder". An effective drug, but very toxic.
- "Phenaxin". It is similar to the first drug, but the toxicity is less.
- "Medvetoks-U". Will not harm the soil and decomposes quickly in the ground. They can process potatoes and other vegetables.
- Boverin. An effective biological product, it contains spores of fungi that destroy the bear. Used in greenhouses and greenhouses, it is considered relatively safe.
Choose the right composition, consult with experienced summer residents. There are no safe chemicals, so when choosing a drug, proceed from the degree of plant infection and take into account the peculiarities of vegetable crops in the garden.
We destroy the bear with the help of folk methods
Various folk methods of pest control are much more effective than chemical preparations and will not harm vegetable crops. Try the following folk methods:
- beer or kvass. Buy the cheapest beer or kvass. Pour the drink into bottles or cans. Bury the container at a 45 degree angle into the ground. Medvedka will fall into a deadly trap and die in it. Pour the sour beer, and destroy the dead insects. Use this method throughout the growing season.
- kerosene. Pour some kerosene into a bucket of sand and stir. Make small holes throughout the garden and pour the mixture into them.
- cooling the earth. Medvedki are afraid of the cold, and experienced gardeners have come up with a little trick. Sprinkle the soil with straw or sawdust. Their light shades will begin to reflect heat, the earth will not heat up, and the bears will leave the garden.
- fragrant herbs. The pest does not like plants with a pungent odor. Plant garlic, onions, chili peppers, and cilantro around the beds and around the perimeter of the site. Water the ground with onion broth
- eggshell. Grind the eggshell, moisten it a little with sunflower oil. Scatter it around the beds. This will prevent the pest from crawling to vegetable crops. You can pour the mixture into the seedling hole. This is a useful fertilizer and effective scaring away bears.
Getting rid of the bear with ultrasonic devices
The Repeller creates vibration and sounds that pests do not like. Medvedka will immediately leave the garden. The device works on batteries and effectively affects the hearing of the bear.
It will not harm plants, people and pets. The person does not hear any sounds. Not only bears, but also moles and snakes are sensitive to vibrations and sounds.
The cost of such repellents is not small, but the pest will no longer appear in the garden.
Fighting a pest will take a lot of time, because it is difficult to fight a bear. Be sure to carry out prophylaxis on the site - dig up the ground, cultivate vegetables, use the above methods, and you will protect your garden from a formidable pest.
How to understand that a pest has appeared in the garden
It is not difficult to understand that it is time to look for means of how to get rid of the wireworm in the garden. There are several signs that indicate the presence of pests on the site.
Having found at least one of these signs, you need to very carefully examine your plantings. You cannot miss the "invasion" of wireworms. Every year the damage from his vital activity only increases. Only a timely struggle will help preserve the harvest.
Effective ways to get rid of a bear on the site
Fighting a bear in the garden is like fighting cockroaches in an apartment. It can only be overcome by the joint efforts of all neighbors. Fighting in a separate area can bring only a temporary decrease in the pest population, since the place of the destroyed insects will soon be taken by aliens from neighboring areas. First of all, it is necessary to apply preventive agricultural techniques:
- Late autumn digging or plowing of the soil. At this time, the insects have already settled down for the winter in their nests, which they have equipped in the upper layers of the soil (up to 10-15 cm). In the process of digging with the overturn of the layers of the earth, the pests will be lifted up, where they will die from frost. Of course, it will not be possible to completely get rid of the bear in this way, since sometimes it goes too deep, but it will turn out to cause significant damage to the population.
- In the fall, several holes up to 50 cm deep and about the same diameter are made on the site. They are filled with fresh warm manure, in which most of the pest representatives will surely gather for wintering in such comfortable conditions. At the onset of frost, manure is scattered with a shovel over the site along with the "guests" who will die from the frost.
- They are planted in the area of the plant, the smell of which scares off the bear:
For fans of radical chemical attacks, there are many drugs. They are quite effective, only before using them, you should carefully study the composition and rules for working with them, so as not to harm plants, humans, pets. And besides, there are electronic scarers of underground pests such as Rubezh, Tornado, Thunder and others on sale.
Table: preparations for fighting a bear
|Name of the drug||Active substance||Description||Validity|
|Medvetox||Diazinon 20 g / kg||A popular drug that is red granules. Not phytotoxic.||Two weeks|
|Anti-Medvedka||Imidacloprid 50 g / kg||Release form - granules and microgranules. The drug is laid out in the furrows when planting plants or directly into the pest holes. Consumption of 300 grams per 20 acres.||Up to three weeks|
|Phenaxine plus||Malathion 50 g / kg|
|Rembeck||Kerosene, boric acid, red pepper||Granules. In addition to active substances, they contain baits: flavorings, sugar, vegetable oil, onion husks, cereals.||From 14 days to a month|
|Boverin||Spores of the muscardine mushroom Beauveria bassiana||The fungus penetrates the body of the bear, from which she dies||7-14 days|
Photo gallery: preparations for fighting the bearMedvetox is a popular means of fighting a bear Antimedvedka is an effective drug based on imidacloprid Suspension Boverin contains spores of the muscardine fungus Phenaxin Plus is a domestic drug based on malathion Rembeck is the safest drug for humans
Folk remedies and traps
Folk remedies are mainly of a deterrent nature and at the same time they do not harm a person.
Dilute 0.5 cups of petroleum product in 10 liters of water and pour 30-50 ml of this composition into each mink in the evening. It is advisable to combine this method with the following: pour 30 ml of kerosene into a bucket of dry sand, mix and sprinkle it on the paths between the beds.
10 g of laundry soap and 50 g of washing powder are diluted in a bucket of water. Pour 0.5 liters of solution into each hole. In a few minutes, the insects will either die underground or get out. In the latter case, they just need to be caught and destroyed.
The dried shells need to be crushed in a mortar, and then mixed with a small amount of sunflower oil. The mixture is used in the same way as granules - it is laid out in grooves when planting plants to a depth of 3-4 cm. Medvedka eats such a bait, seduced by the smell of oil, and dies because the sharp shell injures its insides.
Bait is made from steamed grain in the amount of 1 kg, which is mixed with 50 grams of malofos and 30 ml of sunflower oil. Since such baits are dangerous for birds and pets, they must be buried in the soil.
They put about 5 grams of this substance in each hole. With subsequent watering, acetylene will be released, which is fatal for the bear.
They take an ordinary bottle (plastic or glass) and bury it up to the neck in the ground. At the bottom of the bottle is poured 50-100 ml of beer or honey, dissolved in a small amount of water, or just sugar syrup. Insects, attracted by the smell, penetrate the bottle, from where they can no longer get out.
Bears love beer and sweet syrups
When planting seedlings, a rather effective method of protecting it from a bear is the use of plastic rings. Simply cut off a ring 8-10 cm high from a plastic bottle and deepen it into the soil around the plant. This is guaranteed to protect it from the pest.
The plastic ring is guaranteed to protect the plants from the bear
Video: how to get rid of a bear
The essence of the method is to block the path of pests. The ground around the perimeter of the site, around the beds, is sprinkled with something rough, sharp. In addition to sand, nutshells, it can be more effective slaked lime, wood ash, crushed shells of river mollusks.
Dry mustard, dry coffee grounds, superphosphate are also good in this regard. It is advisable to make several narrow strips at a distance of 10-20 centimeters from each other.
If you need to protect freestanding trees, shrubs, large flowers from slugs, you can pour a shaft of sand around the hole.
You can also protect plants in the garden with ordinary water. Fill any long containers, grooves with it, and place them around the beds. Once in the water, the slugs die.
I wonder what copper can help. Any copper-containing material - wire, or a covering material containing this metal, will cause a discharge of current upon contact with the mollusc.
Mustard helps in the fight not only with slugs in the garden, but also with insects. Read more about this in the video:
How to get a bear out of the garden using mulching
Try all of these pest control methods. And in the end, some remedy will definitely help to get the bear out of the garden. The main thing is not to stop, and therefore, to bring the matter to the end. Otherwise, pests will become the owners of the garden.
As an illustration, we suggest watching a video of fighting a bear in a simple folk way.