How to make your own garage roof waterproofing
Waterproofing the roof of the garage is one of the main stages in the arrangement of this structure. It is very important to choose the right material, as moisture can cause mold, mildew and condensation. In a garage where the roof is poorly or improperly waterproofed, the vehicle will be in danger.
Review of materials for waterproofing, their comparison, pros and cons
The choice of material for waterproofing depends on many factors, in particular, on the presence of slopes, their slope, climate characteristics.
The main requirements are:
- elasticity - if its level is insufficient, the material can easily be damaged by elastic deformations;
- resistance to moisture - waterproofing material must retain not only water, but also water vapor;
- heat permeability - this will allow you to maintain the required temperature in the garage for the full safety of the car;
- strength - the material must withstand various external loads.
For waterproofing a garage, you can use:
- Perforated waterproofing or anti-condensation film. A special material that combines fabric and reinforced film. There are holes in the structure through which moisture can penetrate, but only in one direction. You can use this material for arranging a cold roof, including for a garage. Perforated film has one significant drawback - a short service life. This is due to the fact that over time the pores become clogged with dirt and the functionality of the waterproofing decreases. The material simply stops breathing.
The service life of the perforated film is no more than 5 years
- Polymer film. It is considered universal and has anti-consignant properties. The advantage of the film is that it is used both as a waterproofing and vapor barrier materials, and it is allowed to be laid under any roof. The membrane can have several layers. For an insulated garage, it is better to use a film with two or three layers. This is the only way to guarantee the safety of the insulation for a long time. There are no holes in the three-layer membrane, which increases the service life. Also, it is the polymer membrane that is recommended to be chosen in those areas where strong winds blow.
The polymer film is not only moisture-proof, but also vapor-proof
- Hydrophilic rubber. It is a flexible waterproofing material that is excellent for seams, work joints and other hard-to-reach areas. The principle of operation is to expand upon contact with water, due to which all voids are filled. Moreover, the higher the water pressure, the more dense and reliable the waterproofing is.
Hydrophilic rubber is capable of absorbing moisture and swelling
- Mastics. They can be acrylic, bituminous, silicone, rubber, polyurethane. They are laid in a liquid state, to which they are brought by heating, and then solidify, creating a reliable coating. It can be used to cover any roof material, in particular wooden or concrete surfaces, as it has excellent adhesion properties. But the service life of the mastic does not exceed 5 years, therefore it requires periodic replacement.
The mastic can be hot or cold.
- Gluing materials. This group includes roofing material, roofing felt, waterproofing, glassine. The material should be laid on a flat, clean, dry surface, previously treated with a bitumen primer. Roll material should be glued to the roof, the surface of the waterproofing must be heated in advance, as a result of which it melts and is securely fixed on the roof. The material should be laid with an overlap, and the joints are recommended to be additionally treated with mastic or liquid rubber. You can increase the reliability of the coating if you sprinkle it with crushed stone.
Roofing material is the most popular waterproofing material
- Penetrating waterproofing. A relatively new way to protect the roof from moisture. Suitable for concrete surfaces. This material is an impregnation that penetrates the pores of concrete, fills them. After that, it hardens and forms a reliable protection against moisture; it does not absorb into concrete. The penetrating waterproofing is liquid glass, synthetic resin or molten bitumen.
Penetrating waterproofing completely fills the pores in concrete
Video: waterproofing membrane
DIY garage roof waterproofing technology
You can equip the waterproofing of the garage roof with your own hands, while it does not matter at all what kind of roofing material was used. With all the necessary tools and knowledge, the work can be carried out without the help of specialists.
Garage Slate Roof Waterproofing
Slate is a natural material made by cutting rock. Most often, roofing material is used to waterproof a slate garage roof. Its installation should not cause difficulties:
- First, you need to equip a wooden crate.
For a slate roof, you can use roofing material or membrane
- Lay sheets of roofing material on it in vertical rows. This will allow you to move around the roof without any problems. All work should be carried out slowly, while the roll of waterproofing material should be carefully thrown over the ridge, which will minimize the number of cold bridges.
Roofing material can be fastened with metal staples
- Check that the material is securely fastened. For fixing, it is recommended to use staples and a construction stapler, while do not forget about the need for an overlap of 10 cm.
- Treat the joints of the material and fastening with a coating waterproofing. It can be cold mastic or liquid rubber.
Waterproofing a concrete garage roof
The peculiarity of a concrete roof is that it is possible to extend the service life of such a garage if it is insulated. In this regard, it is worth following certain rules when arranging a waterproofing layer. First of all, this concerns the quality of the concrete screed, which is laid on a layer of insulation. The quality of protection from moisture directly depends on this. The thickness of the concrete screed must be at least 4 cm.The process of waterproofing the concrete roof must be carried out in the following sequence:
- Cover the surface of the concrete screed with a primer or bitumen-polymer mastic.
Before laying roofing material, the concrete surface must be covered with a primer or mastic.
- Allow the impregnation to harden completely.
- Roll out a roll of roofing material, then he needs to lie down, especially if this material has been stored for a long time in a warehouse or in your garage. Roll up again before use.
- Prepare the gas burner. With its help, heat the surface of the waterproofing material until the indicator coating disappears. It is presented in the form of polyethylene with the factory marking present. Make sure that the material is not overheated, otherwise all the waterproofing properties of the roofing material will be lost.
To lay roofing material on a concrete base, it must be heated
- Roll out the heated roll gradually, fix it on the roof surface, and then roll it with a special roller for reliable fastening. It is necessary to lay roofing material with an overlap, which should be equal to 10 cm.
- Particular attention should be paid to the places of abutment to parapets, outputs of technological systems, for example, ventilation and heating pipes. These places must be additionally waterproofed using either a coating waterproofing, or special devices, for example, a master flash.
Video: how to cover the roof of a garage with roofing felt with your own hands
Waterproofing the roof of a garage with a steep slope
With a large slope of the garage roof slopes, the use of welded materials is impossible. Most often in such cases, a waterproofing membrane is used. The installation of the material takes place in the following sequence:
- Clean the surface from dust and debris.
- Coat the concrete surface with a deep penetrating primer or primer.
- Apply bituminous mastic to the roof.
Before laying roofing material, the roof surface must be covered with mastic
- Install membrane waterproofing. It is necessary to lay with protrusions inward.
- All sheets of waterproofing material are reliably glued, additionally fixed with dowels. Make sure that when laying the membrane, an overlap of 5 cm is formed. This is quite easy to do, since there are special latches at the edges of the sheets.
- Fix the membrane foil from above with a clamping bar.
- Lay geotextiles on top of the waterproofing material. This will create a large number of channels through which water will drain and enter the drainage system.
Video: laying a waterproofing membrane
Waterproofing the roof of an iron garage
The metal garage also needs waterproofing. There are two ways:
- Coating with polymer-bitumen mastic. Work can only be done during the warm season. It is recommended to start at the end of spring, when temperature drops at night and daytime are almost invisible. It is necessary to cover the iron roof in several layers. Material consumption in this case is approximately 1-1.5 kg per 1 m2... Reinforced fabric will help to increase the reliability of the waterproofing layer. Apply the mastic to a dry, clean surface. Allow time for the previous coat to dry before applying the next coat. The roof is ready for use within the second day after applying the last layer of mastic.
- The use of roll waterproofing materials. For a garage, you can choose glass roofing material, glassine, profiled polyethylene.
Waterproofing a flat roof of a garage
Any material can be used to waterproof a flat garage roof. Roofing material or liquid rubber is most often chosen. Laying roofing material is no different from the technology of mounting this material on a pitched roof. You can also carry out waterproofing with liquid rubber with your own hands. This must be done in the following sequence:
- Before applying waterproofing material, carefully prepare the surface of the garage roof. This stage includes checking the quality and correctness of the arrangement of the roof base, cleaning the surface from dust and debris (you can spray liquid rubber on a wet surface, so it makes no sense to dry it), preparing the necessary tools and a bitumen-polymer mixture.
- Additionally, the roof surface should be leveled, it should be perfectly flat.
- Liquid rubber should be applied with a special sprayer in strips about 1 m wide. Make sure that the layer of material is as uniform as possible. There should be no gaps or re-coating.
You can apply liquid rubber on a damp surface
- Equip the so-called slip layer. It must be located between the protective layer and the membrane. For the arrangement, you need to lay two layers of different types of materials: geotextile, fiberglass or plastic film.
It is quite easy to protect the garage roof from the harmful effects of moisture with your own hands, especially if you use modern waterproofing materials and technology for their application. Such a roof will serve you for a long time, and you will not need to spend either time or money on major repairs every year.
Roof waterproofing: materials and their types, application, installation methods
Despite the high reliability of modern roofing, additional protection is required to isolate a building from atmospheric moisture. This is the waterproofing of the roof, the materials for which are chosen depending on the type of rafter system and roof covering. We will tell you about the types of roof protection, methods of industrial and individual use of materials.
Apple tree (lat.Malus)
Deciduous shrub or rose tree with round or oval edible fruits. More than 10,000 varieties of home-grown apple trees are known in the world. Loves the sun and good watering.
Modern construction technologies offer a wide range of waterproofing materials. Some of them have a wide specialization and can be used both for the protection of the foundation, walls, and for the roof.
But for roofs, highly specialized waterproofing materials are more effective, the properties and technology of which are focused specifically on protecting this part of the structure. The principle by which waterproofing is divided into three large groups is the material taken as its basis: films, soft roll waterproofing and moisture-insulating compounds.
Garage roof waterproofing options
There are several effective systems for limiting the ingress of moisture and water into rooms, as well as specialized materials, many of which have been used for decades:
- The standard bitumen coating is a liquid roof. Service life before forced renewal - no more than 5 years
- Coating with bitumen with sprinkling - extending the service life up to 7-8 years (depending on the quality of materials and region of residence, weather conditions)
- Application of liquid rubber, polyurea, polyurethane hydrophobic varnishes and other synthetic materials to the roof - about 8-12 years in case of choosing expensive and high-quality products
- Surfacing roof - 10-15 years with minimal renewal of seams
- Membrane seamless roofs - up to 50 years of service. but this is only according to the manufacturers!
You can also consider roofing materials such as metal tiles, corrugated board, slate and others. But this is a separate topic for conversation. In the meantime, it is worth choosing the best of these methods and, adhering to the basic requirements, get down to work.
It is worth noting that the indicated service life can vary significantly. They always depend on the quality of the materials used, the correct installation work and compliance with the rules of the technological process, as well as the weather conditions in the region. A combination of negative factors can reduce the duration of the operational period up to 1-2 years!
Gable roof with rafter system
The main purpose of the gable structure is to create additional roof space for equipping the attic. Let's figure out how to make a garage roof in this case.
Garage roof - photo of the rafter system
The gable rafter system is a lightweight version of the conventional truss structure that is used for large buildings. The height of the ridge is determined by the desired volume of the roof space. The rafters are installed on the Mauerlat. The Mauerlat bar is attached to the walls with studs.
The relatively small dimensions allow the use of the rafter system tightenings as a covering of the garage roof. The distance between adjacent rafters is chosen at 1.5-2 m. This is quite enough for laying the subfloor of the ceiling for tightening.
Stages of work:
- Site preparation. You can leave the floor earthen, carefully leveling the site. You can also roll it up with asphalt or reinforced concrete slabs.
- Installation of the frame. The frame consists of pipe profiles. Installation starts from the bottom, then the corners are formed, then the intermediate posts are installed and the roof profiles are mounted. All elements are fastened with galvanized bolts. Be sure to use a level when installing the garage.
- Frame sheathing.Attach metal sheets to the frame with self-tapping screws, fastening must start from right to left, from top to bottom.
- Goal. Depending on which door model you have chosen, the installation method is determined. When installing swing works, you cannot do without a welding machine.
If you wish, you can make the gate yourself, for this we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the information on how to make an iron gate. We also advise you to pay attention to the article on arranging a garage with your own hands. When the garage is ready, you may need the services of craftsmen to equip the hedge. Therefore, here are the prices for the construction of fences (discounts up to 40%)
Application of paint waterproofing
To insulate the garage floor from high humidity, painting waterproofing is most often chosen. This is due to the simplicity of its application and the lack of specific skills. After the floor has been thoroughly swept from debris, you must perform the following actions:
It is necessary to apply the material for waterproofing the garage with an overlap. In this case, the walls should be processed to a height of about 2 cm. After finishing the work, it is important to wait until it is completely dry, which will come after 2-3 days.
More recently, we told you about repairing a garage roof. In view of the relevance of issues related to insulation, we want to continue the garage theme and this time talk about how to make repairs inside the garage. Contrary to a large number of opinions that repairing a garage is a simple procedure, we will allow ourselves to disagree with this opinion. Before starting repairs, namely insulation and finishing, or just finishing, it is necessary to take into account several very important aspects. Our today's publication will be devoted to all these questions.
Insulate or not
Before starting repairs in the garage, many owners think about the question: to insulate the garage or not. There is no unequivocal and categorical answer to this question, everything will depend on the following factors:
- Garage temperature.
If in winter the average temperature in your garage fluctuates around 5 ° C, it is dry and condensation does not collect on the ceiling, then there is no need to insulate it. If you are not limited in money, then insulation will not be superfluous, especially if you spend a lot of time in your garage.
Please note that after insulating your garage, its usable area will decrease, that is, the walls will narrow by the width of the insulation from all sides. If you already have a narrow garage, consider this point.
The last thing to think about is what materials to insulate the walls with. If they are not chosen correctly, then there will be more negative consequences than positive ones.
Well, let's now tell you in more detail how to make repairs in the garage with your own hands without insulation, and with insulation.
Preparing the garage for repair
Any preparation for repairs should begin with an estimate of the amount of work. We draw up a step-by-step action plan, after which we calculate the materials we need. Leave the car in the parking lot for a few days before starting repairs. Move all existing things in the garage for the period of repair to the inspection pit.
Please note that it is pointless to start internal repairs without repairing the roof, since you will only waste your money, and if the roof leaks, then the repair will have to be redone. When the roof has been repaired, we proceed to the internal work.
Insulation of the garage
If you decide to insulate the garage, then, as a rule, the owners use two options for wall insulation: foam and glass wool. Oddly enough, but polystyrene is very popular with owners than glass wool. Perhaps this is due to stereotypes, perhaps with an easier styling procedure, but, nevertheless, let's look at the features of both materials.
- Styrofoam is a favorable habitat for rodents, as they live in it and gnaw it
- Polyfoam is a combustible material, and therefore, dangerous for the garage
- Foam in comparison with glass wool is not as durable material.
In turn, mineral wool has disadvantages:
- Minvata is "afraid" of moisture
- Mineral wool is a more expensive material than polystyrene.
- Minvata requires a more time consuming approach to installation.
Choose the thickness of the insulation based on the walls of your garage. If you have a major garage and it is not a side garage, then you can not use materials thicker than 30mm. If your garage is the last in the row or not capital, then for this we recommend using insulation, the thickness of which is at least 30 mm.
Insulation of the garage with mineral wool
To lay the mineral wool, we need to build compartments. To make compartments for laying mineral wool, we use either a metal profile or wooden beams (the beams must be pre-treated with a special impregnation for resistance to moisture). The width of the compartments should be slightly narrower than the width of the mineral wool, so that it holds and fits tightly into them. We do the same on the ceiling. When the compartments are done, we proceed to laying the mineral wool.
Laying the material must be done with clothing that covers the skin of the entire body. Be sure to use gloves, respirator and goggles. At the end of the laying of mineral wool, to prevent small particles of mineral wool from getting into the air, it must be hidden under a layer of insulating material, it can be either a special film or paper.
Insulation of the garage with foam
If you made a decision to insulate the garage with foam, then there are 2 features of its attachment, depending on what kind of garage you have. In the case when the garage is capital, built of: concrete blocks, cinder blocks and bricks, then we fix the foam with the help of plastic umbrellas, or as they are also called fungi. When you do not have a major garage, say a metal one, it will be difficult to fix the foam with the help of such fungi. Therefore, we design the same compartments as in the previous case for the foam. In more detail, the procedure for insulation with foam is disclosed in the article: how to insulate walls from the inside.
Garage wall cladding can be done both after insulation, and without it. You can sheathe a garage using three materials: wooden lining, plastic and chipboard.
Immediately, we want to dissuade you from using chipboard, since this material is not resistant to moisture and will deteriorate very quickly. As for plastic and wooden lining, the latter would be the best option, but its disadvantage lies in the high price. Plastic is cheaper than wooden lining, but does not hold heat well and leads to a greenhouse effect in the garage. The issue can be solved very simply, if you have an extra few thousand rubles, then give preference to the lining, but if the budget for repairing the garage is limited, we use plastic, making ventilation in the garage.
For fastening the finishing material, we use wooden slats. We fasten the lining to the slats with the help of small nails, or with nails without hats, and the plastic with the help of a construction stapler.
If you do not plan to insulate the walls, but only want to level it with plaster, then first of all we knock down the old plaster from the walls of the garage. In view of the fact that most garages were built in Soviet times, when there was a shortage of building materials, the quality of such plaster is poor, and it is simply necessary to get rid of it.
Repair and insulation of gates
So that we can sheathe the door over the insulation, we fix wooden blocks around the perimeter, as well as in the center of the gate leaves. The bars are pre-treated with a special moisture-resistant impregnation.
To insulate the gate, it is best to use polystyrene, which is glued to the gate with a sealant. Glue the sheets back to back. The foam should not protrude beyond the wooden beams, consider this when choosing the thickness of the foam.
We recommend using plastic as a finishing material for the gate, as it is not afraid of moisture. We attach the plastic to the pre-installed bars using a construction stapler. We put decorative plugs on the plastic around the edges.
Garage floor repair
If the floor of your garage is bumpy, cracked, or has oil stains, then a cement screed will help solve all these problems. The thickness of the new layer must be at least 1 centimeter, otherwise it may crack. The prepared solution should be more or less rare in order to spread evenly and fill the cavities. You need to start pouring the screed from the front wall to the gate. The drying time of the screed depends on the temperature and humidity of the air, on average it is 2-3 days.
The right choice of waterproofing
How to properly waterproof the foundation so that it will preserve it for many years. Before opting for any waterproofing material, you must first find out in what conditions the waterproofing will have to be laid. The main selection criteria are:
- type of foundation
- the technology of its construction.
Whether waterproofing of the foundation is needed is decided on the basis of the above factors. Their combination helps to determine whether it is necessary to waterproof the surface of the foundation, and what kind of waterproofing to use.
Columnar view of the base of the house
Waterproofing a foundation without a basement, columnar type, is carried out only using roll technology. Cylinders of a certain diameter are rolled from roofing material. So that they do not unfold, they are fixed with ordinary tape. The prepared cylinders are lowered into the well, the reinforcement cage is mounted, then everything is poured with concrete.
When using roofing material with sprinkles, it is desirable that the smooth side is outward. In winter cold weather, the frozen soil will stick less to the roofing material.
How to waterproof a foundation if asbestos pipes are used in a columnar foundation? To do this, you must first cover them with two layers of coating waterproofing.
This type belongs to the representatives of the strip foundation. They are always above groundwater. For the waterproofing device, bituminous mastic is used together with roofing material.
How to make such waterproofing, because the wrong technology can lead to serious problems. Before starting the installation of the formwork, the roofing material unfolds and folds in two layers. It is laid on a sand cushion and poured with concrete.
When it hardens, the side surfaces are covered with a coating waterproofing. Cut-off waterproofing is made over the blind area. Two layers of roofing material are glued to any bituminous mastic.
Why do you need to waterproof such a foundation? Basement floors always need good protection from high humidity.
Several layers of roll waterproofing are taken. They are sequentially placed on a concrete platform. The second layer must be laid perpendicular to the first. After installation, in order not to damage the layers, they must be covered with extruded polystyrene foam.
What is this technology used for, what is the use of it? It protects the foundation from possible damage when the soil begins to swell in severe frosts. To prevent such waterproofing from beginning to collapse, it is protected in several ways:
- the surface of the foundation is covered from above with extruded polystyrene foam
- install special protective membranes.
When constructing buildings, builders prefer to use the first option. It performs two functions at once, protects waterproofing, and also becomes an excellent insulation for the structure.
How can you protect a monolithic foundation
For such work, it is necessary to prepare in advance:
- roofing felt
For a tiled foundation, the best waterproofing will be rolled roofing material. The surface of the foundation slab is leveled with a pre-made concrete screed. Layers of waterproofing are superimposed on it.
The slab is closed with insulation and the concrete screed is poured again. After it has completely hardened, all floor coverings are mounted.
Waterproofing strip foundation
Waterproofing a strip foundation requires:
- bituminous mastic
The cheapest protection of building structures today is the use of bituminous mastic. This layer does not allow groundwater to penetrate into the concrete body.
However, this coating does not protect the foundation if there is pressurized water. She easily copes with such protection and begins to destroy the waterproofing. To the negative properties of the mastic can be added a low coefficient of stretch and the occurrence of shear cracking.
To minimize all imperfections, the surface must be well dried and leveled before starting to apply a layer of mastic. It is desirable to make the corners of the building structure rounded.
In most cases, damage to such waterproofing occurs when filling the free space with soil. It usually contains a lot of solid particles, which damage the surface of the waterproofing.
Under any circumstances, for such a foundation, a special permeable layer is made, which includes sand with crushed stone. Such a pillow becomes an excellent insulator and prevents the ingress of groundwater into the body of the foundation.
Protection of a solid monolithic foundation
So, we poured the concrete mix and waited one month for the concrete to finally harden. Then earthworks are carried out. The base of the foundation is dug in around the entire perimeter.
The width of the trench is made in such a way that it is convenient to carry out all subsequent technological operations. Usually it is made one meter wide or a little more.
The depth of such a ditch should be about half a meter below the sole. This depth will maximize the effect of the drainage system. Dewatering will have the best performance.
In addition, such technological work almost doubles the life of the waterproofing.
Then the outer surface of the foundation is prepared for waterproofing. No matter how carefully you pour the concrete, some defects will definitely remain on the outer part. Very often you can see small cracks, irregularities and potholes. The surface needs to be leveled. To do this, you can use cement grout, grade M-100 and higher.
Any type of waterproofing must be such that its adhesion to the reinforced concrete monolith is very strong and durable. For this, the surface of the base must first be covered with several layers of special primer paint.
When the primer is completely dry, the selected waterproofing compound is applied. Work should be carried out according to the technology specified in the instructions for the waterproofing composition.
To prevent the building wall from being moistened, the horizontal section of the monolithic foundation is covered with several layers of roofing material. You can also use other waterproofing materials for these purposes.
Residential protection with liquid rubber
If the building has a basement, covering the foundation with liquid rubber is performed in several operations. A pair of horizontal contours are made and vertical waterproofing is installed.
The basement floor and wall panels should also be covered with bitumen-polymer strapping. A drainage system is made next to the walls of the building. After backfilling the trench with soil, blind areas must be installed. Such complex construction work makes it possible to obtain high-quality and reliable waterproofing.
The horizontal waterproofing installed on the outer surface of the foundation prevents groundwater from entering the upper part of the house.
The first bituminous layer is placed flush with the basement floor surface. The second layer is laid in the plinth, so that its height exceeds the height of the blind area by 250 millimeters.
Horizontal waterproofing is made of a bitumen-polymer mixture, which is characterized by high strength. She must calmly withstand enormous mechanical stress. Cracks and breaks are not allowed on the surface of the waterproofing layer. It should cover the surface with an even continuous layer.
Any type of foundation must be waterproofed. Its type and material are selected according to the location of the building and climatic conditions.
This work can be done independently if you adhere to the above technology. You can also contact professionals who will make waterproofing quickly and efficiently.